Norwich Puppet Theatre
> Norwich Puppet Theatre
That old curmudgeon Scrooge! What a delight this grumpy old skinflint can be, especially on stage.
In Theatre Taptoe's version he is suitably grotesque: half puppet, half man, almost rotund with a black and white stripy waistcoat. Not unlike an Aubrey Beardsley sketch.
In characteristic pose, we see him half lit in his dingy office kissing the pound notes before he tucks them away in his pocket.
But alas! He is assailed by Bob Cratchit (a Hoover look-alike carrying his wife inside as a kind of extension) who asks him for money and then there are the pop-eyed carol singers, who plague him with their requests for charity . . . things can barely get worse.
Until, that is, he is assailed by the shadowy Marley and the spirits of Christmas past, present and future. A sequence which included a naked man (off stage!) and clever projections of Scrooge's past self.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 3 Passengers angry after train heading to Norwich delayed for hours
- 4 Covid restrictions played part in father's death, inquest told
- 5 Weather warning in place as snow falls in parts of Norfolk and Waveney
- 6 School closed its doors for three days after Covid outbreak
- 7 'Horrendous' - Norfolk couple stuck in South Africa as Omicron spreads
- 8 Out of control dog attacked and killed sheep, court hears
- 9 Luxury manor for sale with a 'Hobbit house' in the grounds
- 10 Unfinished barn conversion to go up for sale at auction
Perfect Christmas entertainment, which would be best enjoyed with roasted chestnuts and a mince pie for afters!