Rick Wakeman to switch on Diss lights
CELIA WIGG The Diss Christmas lights switch-on event on November 30 is the first to be hosted by the town council.
The Diss Christmas lights switch-on event on November 30 is the first to be hosted by the town council.
On the agenda for the evening, which incorporates late night shopping, is live entertainment on the bandstand, an ice sculpture to be completed on site, a snow queen on stilts, walkabout snowmen, Santa, plus market stalls and free Christmas treats.
Town clerk Deborah Sarson said: "This year's modest Christmas lights display will consist of icicle lights picking out the unique roofline of our heritage buildings in the Market Place and Mere Street with the Christmas tree relocated near to the museum so it is visible from Mere Street.
You may also want to watch:
"Unfortunately, plans to light up the church tower have been thwarted for this year by the lengthy bureaucratic processes required to obtain permissions but will be reconsidered for next year."
The programme of events kicks off at about 5pm, with rock legend Rick Wakeman performing the switch-on ceremony at 6.30pm.
- 1 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 2 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 3 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 4 Wanted Norwich man arrested in north Norfolk village
- 5 Woman injured by jars of sauce thrown in Sainsbury's
- 6 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 7 Man exposed himself to three teenage girls at Morrisons
- 8 BBC Springwatch films at Norfolk nature haven - with beavers
- 9 'Vulnerable' Norfolk man missing from home
- 10 A47 tailbacks as roadworks move west near Norwich