Review: How Like An Angel
Norwich Cathedral hosts the European premiere of an astounding piece of acrobatic dance theatre, that grips and overwhelms.
There's an inscription in one of the chapels at Norwich Cathedral that reads 'except for the still part there would be no dance.'
In How Like An Angel that still point is a transfixed, emotionally toyed with audience that sit in the heart of the church as a phenonemal combination of music and physical theatre unfolds around them.
A collaboration between Australian circus company Circa and vocal ensemble I Fagiolini the show was first performed in Australia, where it received some criticism for being performed in cathedrals.
But they seem a perfect venue, not just for the blend of spiritual choral music that pervades the performance - the small choir literally pursuing the audience with original and traditional music from across the centuries and continents.
You may also want to watch:
The dance mixes daring aerial moves with physical, catwalk theatricality, as the 'angels' falteringly grow accustomed to their bodies, collaborative and playful at first.
With confidence comes arrogance and competiveness - literally climbing the pole in a allegory that matches Paradise Lost.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 3 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 4 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 5 Man seriously injured after Norfolk crash
- 6 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
- 7 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 8 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 9 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 10 A47 closed in both directions after crash
This is an astounding and awe-inspiring group of strong and powerful actor-acrobats backed by an inspiring score. A true testament, as Hamlet's words suggest, to the glory of man - and some would say the glory of God.
How Like An Angel is at Norwich Cathedral on Thursday at 7.30pm and 9.30pm, call 01603 766400 for returns. It will be performed at Ely Cathedral on July 2 and 3.