Resort has high hopes for air show
Organisers of the Lowestoft Air Festival have revealed that they now only needed to raise another £30,000 before the event in July.
Organisers of the Lowestoft Air Festival last night revealed that they now only needed to raise another £30,000 before the event in July.
A fundraising target of £150,000 was set before the crowds pour into the resort next month – and so far nearly £120,000 has been raised.
Graham Cooke, managing director of the Lowestoft Seafront Air Festival, which was set up to organise this year's show, said: "We are sure we are going to get there but we are not there yet. The airshow is free but we would ask everyone to voluntarily donate £1 each to share what is going to be a whole day of fun and excitement."
The grand total needed is £250,000, but the organisers are confident that the rest of the money will be made during the two-day event on July 28 and 29, despite the disappointing response to a call for voluntary donations at last year's show.
Mr Cooke confirmed that all the planes had been booked and included in the line-up were the Red Arrows, a Typhoon Eurofighter and a Chinook helicopter.
The future of this year's event was once in doubt after the withdrawal of European funding and disappointing public contributions in previous years.
- 1 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 2 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 3 Queen flown by helicopter to Sandringham Estate
- 4 Fire destroys roof of Norwich home
- 5 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 6 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 7 Seven of the best locations for a minibreak staycation in Norfolk
- 8 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 9 7 of the best places to get street food on the Norfolk coast
- 10 Taxi driver hopes to be named Miss Voluptuous UK
Anyone wishing to show their support can make either a cash donation or make a cheque payable to Lowestoft Seafront Air Festival Ltd, which can be left in any of the collection boxes, or join Friends of the Air Festival.
For more information, visit www.lowestoftairfestival. co.uk