Raveonettes unleash their NY sound
COLIN WILSON The Jim Beam Music Tour 2005, featuring the Raveonettes, Dogs and the Boxer Rebellion, comes to Norwich Arts Centre on Monday, March 14.
The Jim Beam Music Tour 2005, featuring the Raveonettes, Dogs and the Boxer Rebellion, comes to Norwich Arts Centre on Monday, March 14.
Headliners New York-based Danish duo the Raveonettes - aka Sune Rose Wagner and Sharin Foo - have spent the last eight months holed up in various New York studios and now they are ready to unleash their new sound on unsuspecting listeners.
The band's new album, as yet untitled, is virtually fuzz-free and on this record they have drafted in musical heroes such as the Velvet Underground's Maureen Tucker.
You may also want to watch:
But where both the Raveonettes 2002 EP Whip It On and their 2003 debut Chain Gang of Love were triumphs of uniform mood, the new songs are a whirlwind of ravishing noir and vintage pop.
There are changes in the live line-up too with the addition of bassist Anders Christensen, freeing up Foo to concentrate on singing and playing additional guitar.
- 1 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 2 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 3 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 4 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 5 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 6 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 7 1,000 people book for Norwich restaurant's 'back out to help out' offer
- 8 Part of A47 reopens after earlier accident
- 9 Former Primark store goes up for rent
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
Island Records signings Dogs from Stoke Newington rip it up with a fine line in tuneful, snotty rock'n'roll and, with a chart single, She's Got a Reason, under their belt look set to have a rosy 2005. The band's debut album Turn Against the Land, recorded in Cornwall at the legendary Sawmills Studios, is due in the early summer.
The Boxer Rebellion will be performing songs from their eagerly-anticipated debut album Exits which comes out on April 11.
The album is preceded by a download-only single release of All You Do Is Talk which will be available on March 21.
Special guest DJs are Queens of Noize.
The tour is being sponsored by Jim Beam and MTV and a behind the scenes TV show is planned to be aired on MTV2.
Doors 8pm. Tickets at £8.50 in advance are available from Norwich Arts Centre box office 01603 660352