Queen reigns as sun shines in Sheringham
- Credit: Archant
Sheringham basked in sunshine for the start of the town carnival this weekend, with the traditional crowning day on Sunday attracting crowds in their hundreds.
A day of entertainment at clifftop gardens The Leas kicked off with a Newfoundland dog rescue display, with other attractions ranging from charity stalls, a bird of prey demonstration and a performance by north Norfolk children's group True Motion Dance, to games including hook-a-duck and bowling.
The arrival of carnival queen Jade Roberts, senior attendant Emma Louise Glover and prince and princess Ashton Cole, 10, and Mollie Simmons, 11, was announced by Sheringham town crier Tony Nelson in one of his final engagements before stepping down from the role after 29 years.
After leading the 'royal' party to a golden throne at the centre of the Leas, Mr Nelson and his wife Hilary were invited to take centre stage by carnival chairman Stuart McClean, who thanked them for their many years of service to the town.
Carnival stalwart Eddie Page then presented Mr Nelson with a porcelain town crier figurine, before Mr McClean's wife Della invited the 'local legend' to crown the royal party.
You may also want to watch:
Mr McClean, who also introduced Mr Nelson's successor - local insurance broker Andrew Cunningham Brown - said: 'Tony is synonymous with Sheringham, everybody knows him, he is an absolutely splendid character, he has done an enormous amount for the town and he will be very much missed.'
Carnival committee member Kim Glover, who is in charge of event marshalling, said the day's events had set the scene for a 'spectacular' carnival week.
- 1 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 4 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 5 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 6 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 7 Christmas craft, food and gift fair returning to Norfolk estate
- 8 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 9 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
'The weather just couldn't have been better,' she added. 'We have had a fantastic turnout and we are all looking forward to a fun-packed programme of events for all the family.'