Picture Hooks and Castors, Wroxham
MICHAEL DRAKE Antique display cabinets, Lowestoft porcelain and a Sheraton sewing box (modestly priced at £24,000) are featured in this exhibition.
It was difficult to resist viewing what was on offer under the delightful title of Picture Hooks and Castors in such congenial surroundings from furniture and ceramics expert Spencer Brooke and his graphic designer wife Ruth Lowe.
There is much to admire downstairs at The Grange Gallery, Wroxham, both in the beautiful antique display cabinets and on the floor. Brightly coloured Lowestoft porcelain shines from one corner vying for the eye with an 18th century English half-moon satinwood card table, some unusual black and terracotta Wedgwood pieces and a modestly priced Sheraton sewing box.
And while a price tag of £24,000 takes it out of reach of most, an absolutely stunning, inlaid bonheur-du-jour by John Cobb is just worth looking at.
Upstairs, work by East Anglian artists – not all professionals – fills the walls. The visitors can walk down Kay Ohsten's village streets in Provence, so alive are they, take in the skies and light of Margaret Glass's pastels and be amused by Peter Jamieson's Royal Ascot charcoals. Michael Coulter's Angels and Shepherds seems totally relevant to today, while his birds never take their eyes off the viewer. Stone sculptures by Laurence Broderick have a natural feel to them and Ross Newman's steel Mistral has a wondrous movement.
This exhibition is on view (excluding Christmas and New Year weeks) until January 26 and well worth a relaxing hour.
- 1 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 2 Norfolk man arranged sexual exploitation of teen victim
- 3 Woman to stand trial accused of causing death by careless driving
- 4 Diners showered with glass after man smashes pub window
- 5 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 6 Missing Beccles woman Jaime Larter, 42, found
- 7 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 8 Norfolk Coast Path to close for eight weeks
- 9 Action taken against cold callers who left homeowner 'freaked out'
- 10 Police called after illegally parked delivery driver blocks bus routes