PICTURE GALLERY: New flea market is a success in Norwich
An indoor Norwich flea market is proving to be a roaring success after only being in operation for five months.
Aladdin's Cave, on Magdalen Street, began running the Saturday flea market from above the main store in October last year.
Now running more than 40 stalls, the market has a variety goods available, from vintage comics to second-hand home furnishings.
Drawing in customers as diverse as students from the Norwich University College of the Arts to collectors seeking specialist antique goods, the flea market has proved a popular local attraction.
Graham Gould, who runs Aladdin's Cave with his partner Rob Ebbage, explained how the market had progressed.
He said: ''We began the market in October with only a few stalls but it's grown steadily. It's boosted customer numbers for the main store as well as the flea market.
'We have a great variety of people who run stalls here, from people who have run antique shops for years on Elm Hill to people who sell items from house clearances.
- 1 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 2 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 3 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 4 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 5 Norwich firm part of growing number of businesses working four day weeks
- 6 War-time bomb lay dormant for 80 years before exploding under fishing boat
- 7 A year on: Tributes to teacher who died following tumour diagnosis
- 8 John Lewis CCTV footage leads to Norwich gun arrests
- 9 Arrive by boat at new Norfolk wedding venue
- 10 1920s bungalow up for sale in one of the Broads' most sought-after villages
'The location is a warm and dry and I hope it becomes a more permanent location.
'Currently we run on Saturdays, but in the medium term, I'd like to run the market two days a week. We have more space, with potential for larger stands, that we are going to expand into. Eventually, in the long term, I hope to have enough permanent traders to allow us to open five to seven days a week and have people queuing outside before opening, but it's early days yet.'
The success of the market has had a knock-on effect on the area with many former traders at the market going on to set up their own shops nearby, such as Retreat Vintage and Laurel and Hardy.
Aladdin's Cave Flea Market is open on Saturdays at 10am and runs till 5pm. For more information call 01603 666 305.
• View the picture gallery at the top of the page