Paintings by royal father and son
SUE SKINNER The artistic talents of a royal father and son have gone on show in a unique exhibition at Sandringham House.
The artistic talents of a royal father and son have gone on show in a unique exhibition at Sandringham House.
Nearly 50 paintings by the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales are being shown together for the first time in the ballroom of the Queen's private Norfolk home, which is now open for the summer season.
Although most of the watercolours by Prince Charles have been seen in public before, the exhibition offers a rare chance to see a collection of works in oils by his father, who took up painting soon after his marriage in 1947.
The Prince of Wales's much-documented interest began during the 1970s, when he was inspired by Robert Waddell, who had been his art master at Gordonstoun in Scotland.
The display is based around views of the royal residences, including Sandringham, and their surrounding landscapes.
- 1 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 2 Part of A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 3 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 4 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 5 See inside this idyllic family home up for sale with NO nearby neighbours
- 6 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 7 Former coastal restaurant up for auction
- 8 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 9 Thousands expected to attend huge four-day steam extravaganza
- 10 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
Windsor Castle, for example, has been captured by both artists, as have the wide skies of Norfolk.
The Duke frequently took his paints with him on his travels around the world and a selection of scenes captured on these journeys is also included, as well as a charming study of the Queen at the breakfast table.
Sandringham House is open daily until July 20 and again between July 31 and October 28. For more information, call 01553 612908 or visit the website www.sandringhamestate.co.uk