On song: Great British Proms reveal choir competition shortlist
- Credit: Chris Taylor
Four amateur choirs from across Norfolk have been shortlisted as part of a competition to perform on stage with some of the biggest stars in the country at one of the hottest parties of the summer.
Vocalights, a community choir based in Aylsham; Mid Norfolk Singers based in Dereham; Encore, originally formed in 1984 as South Norfolk Amateur Operatic Society; and Norwich Community Choir are all in the running to play at starring role at The Great British Prom at Blickling, near Aylsham, on August 12 following a public vote.
However, only one choir will be given the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to join the National Symphony Orchestra on stage to perform Jerusalem before the open-air concert, in front of thousands of revellers, culminates with a spectacular fireworks display.
The final decision will be made by world-famous conductor Anthony Inglis on June 14.
The winning choir will also be invited to perform at the start of the concert before the main programme begins. They will also feature in the concert programme and each member of the choir will receive a complimentary ticket for a guest to witness their performance.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Inglis, who is also music director for Welsh mezzo-soprano Katherine Jenkins, said: 'It's great to see that the tradition of local amateur choirs is alive and well in this fantastic country of ours.
'I was pleasantly surprised by the standard of entries and am looking forward to meeting and performing with the winning choir.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 3 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 4 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 5 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 6 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 7 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 8 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 9 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 10 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
'Truly memorable performances are those where an invisible bond occurs between the artists and the audience; by adding a local choir to our line-up of globally renowned musicians I am confident that we will achieve this.'
As part of the judging process, all choirs on the shortlist were posted on The Great British Prom's Facebook page and have already received more than 60,000 views.
Lisa Ward, Director of organisers Revival Productions, added: 'We want to thank all the choirs that entered the competition and as a mark of our gratitude have offered all entrants the opportunity to buy two tickets to The Great British Prom for the price of one.'
The Great British Prom sees the National Symphony Orchestra, one of the leading orchestras in the country, perform a veritable feast of iconic and rousing anthems from all corners of the United Kingdom.
For full event details and tickets visit www.greatbritishprom.co.uk or call the event box office on 01630 674342.