Norwich’s Maddermarket Theatre springs into action for new season
- Credit: submitted
A packed programme of theatre, music and more awaits audiences at Norwich's Maddermarket Theatre this spring.
The city venue has launched its Spring brochure with a programme featuring more than 50 performances and events from April to July.
They range from a production of Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra to an International Jazz Festival Day to singer Ray Quinn taking to the stage.
Peter Beck, joint creative director at the Maddermarket Theatre, said: 'We are very excited about our latest programme, with some exciting well-known names coming to us, performances for all ages and tastes, and a great offering from our own company each month.
'We have lots of different theatre productions; both period pieces and modern; a range of music events from jazz to folk, rock and classical; cabaret, dance and talks.'
The Maddermarket Theatre's in-house shows include: Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra at the end of April; the Alan Ayckbourn comedy Neighbourhood Watch in May; the Joe Orton play What The Butler Saw in June; and Quartet, Ron Harwood's comedy about aging and art, in July.
Other theatre highlights include Airs and Graces - The Spirit of Music Hall this Saturday, which will take audiences on a nostalgic journey through the songs and dances of the great music hall period.
- 1 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 2 Woman to stand trial accused of causing death by careless driving
- 3 Norfolk man arranged sexual exploitation of teen victim
- 4 Action taken against cold callers who left homeowner 'freaked out'
- 5 Diners showered with glass after man smashes pub window
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as Covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 Missing Beccles woman Jaime Larter, 42, found
- 8 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 9 Virus expert says Omicron is 'unstoppable' and backs 'Plan B' rules
- 10 Police called after illegally parked delivery driver blocks bus routes
The Tommy Cooper Show in July will feature West End performer Daniel Taylor playing one of Britain's best-loved comics, meanwhile in June actor Robert Powell will be presenting Just So, a one-man show about The Jungle Book creator Rudyard Kipling.
In July, the show Fairy Tales, narrated by actor Timothy West, will see some of the most memorable children's stories put to music by famous composers.
The Maddermarket's music programme includes two events taking place this week. Vocalist Claire Martin and saxophonist Ray Gelato are celebrating all things swing in A Swinging Affair this Thursday, and singer and The X Factor finalist Ray Quinn is at the theatre this Friday with his Dare to Dream Tour.
Further into the future, the Maddermarket Theatre with Global Music Foundation is presenting International Jazz Festival Day on May 10, and people can enjoy a tribute to the songs of Marlene Dietrich on June 2 with the show Marina Laslo in Dietrich Letters.
Author, broadcaster, former MP and government whip Gyles Brandreth will also be taking people on a roller-coaster ride through the corridors of power in An Audience with Gyles Brandreth on July 10.
• Do you have a Norwich arts story? Email arts correspondent Emma Knights at email@example.com