Norwich’s Maddermarket Theatre springs into action for new season
- Credit: submitted
A packed programme of theatre, music and more awaits audiences at Norwich's Maddermarket Theatre this spring.
The city venue has launched its Spring brochure with a programme featuring more than 50 performances and events from April to July.
They range from a production of Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra to an International Jazz Festival Day to singer Ray Quinn taking to the stage.
Peter Beck, joint creative director at the Maddermarket Theatre, said: 'We are very excited about our latest programme, with some exciting well-known names coming to us, performances for all ages and tastes, and a great offering from our own company each month.
'We have lots of different theatre productions; both period pieces and modern; a range of music events from jazz to folk, rock and classical; cabaret, dance and talks.'
You may also want to watch:
The Maddermarket Theatre's in-house shows include: Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra at the end of April; the Alan Ayckbourn comedy Neighbourhood Watch in May; the Joe Orton play What The Butler Saw in June; and Quartet, Ron Harwood's comedy about aging and art, in July.
Other theatre highlights include Airs and Graces - The Spirit of Music Hall this Saturday, which will take audiences on a nostalgic journey through the songs and dances of the great music hall period.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 3 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 4 Man seriously injured after crash
- 5 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 6 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 7 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 8 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 9 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 10 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
The Tommy Cooper Show in July will feature West End performer Daniel Taylor playing one of Britain's best-loved comics, meanwhile in June actor Robert Powell will be presenting Just So, a one-man show about The Jungle Book creator Rudyard Kipling.
In July, the show Fairy Tales, narrated by actor Timothy West, will see some of the most memorable children's stories put to music by famous composers.
The Maddermarket's music programme includes two events taking place this week. Vocalist Claire Martin and saxophonist Ray Gelato are celebrating all things swing in A Swinging Affair this Thursday, and singer and The X Factor finalist Ray Quinn is at the theatre this Friday with his Dare to Dream Tour.
Further into the future, the Maddermarket Theatre with Global Music Foundation is presenting International Jazz Festival Day on May 10, and people can enjoy a tribute to the songs of Marlene Dietrich on June 2 with the show Marina Laslo in Dietrich Letters.
Author, broadcaster, former MP and government whip Gyles Brandreth will also be taking people on a roller-coaster ride through the corridors of power in An Audience with Gyles Brandreth on July 10.
• Do you have a Norwich arts story? Email arts correspondent Emma Knights at email@example.com