Norwich comedian Dan McKee reaches semi-final of Laughing Horse New Act of the Year competition
Norwich comedian Dan McKee has made it to the semi-finals of a prestigious national stand-up competition.
Now the 32-year-old, from Old Catton, is hoping to follow in the footsteps of popular British comedians such as Russell Kane, Jack Whitehall, Rhod Gilbert and Greg Davies, who were all discovered as winners or runners-up in this competition.
It is the Laughing Horse New Act of the Year competition that Dan is competing in, heading to The Dogstar venue in Brixton, London, for the semi-finals.
Dan said: 'It's the biggest new comedy competition in the country.
'I went in at the regional stage with nine others from the Norwich area and I believe I'm the last one standing.'
You may also want to watch:
One of the other quarter-final venues was cancelled, so a load more competition suddenly stood in Dan's way.
He didn't let it knock his confidence however and now he is heading for his semi-final.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 4 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 5 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 6 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 7 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 8 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 9 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 10 Cycling trail among ideas for new country park
Dan added: 'I did quite a short set.
'There was a couple of bits about Norfolk in there that seemed to do quite well but there was some strong competition.
'So it will be a longer set in the semi-finals but I'll be giving it my all to get through.'
It is a busy time for Dan, as tonight he is also heading to the south-west to take part in the annual Bath Comedy Festival, following on from reaching the final of the Costa Light Comedy Challenge last November. Dan will compete in the fourth semi-final on Tuesday, April 24.
It is one of six semi-finals, each with 15 competitors, with the judges looking to narrow down the field to the best 13.
If Dan should manage to make it through, then he would go on to the Highlight venue in Camden, for a high-profile final compered by Imran Yusuf.
- Click the link on the top-right of this page to watch a video of one of Dan's stand-up routines.
- Have you reached the final of a high-profile competition? Contact Local Life editor David Freezer on 01603 772418 or email@example.com