North Walsham First World War exhibition
- Credit: Archant
Relatives of three First World War soldiers from North Walsham will attend a special exhibition about the conflict this weekend.
Eileen Doughty's father, RSM John Craigie, was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal, while Brian Robson's father Eric, and Geoff Griston's father Philip both earned the Military Medal, highlighting the bravery of young men who went off to fight for their country.
Of the North Walsham contingent 99 did not come back. Photos of 95 of them will be shown on a continuous loop in the cafeteria at the exhibition venue, The Atrium next to North Walsham High School on Spenser Avenue.
There will also be readings of witness reports, and local men's medal citations, free film screenings, a children's choir, plus displays and demonstrations by the Living History Group, Army Cadet Force, Air Training Corps and the Royal British Legion (RBL).
A separate, complementary, exhibition by the Norfolk Titanic Association will take place at The Atrium.
It will focus on North Walsham-born Titanic survivor May Howard. An eight-foot long model of the doomed Titanic will also be on show and the exhibition will feature her sister ships and their roles in the First World War.
The exhibition takes place on September 6 and 7, from 10am-5.30pm each day. Admission is free. The film screenings are Warhorse (Saturday 11am and 2.30pm) and The Blue Max (Sunday 2.30pm). All film screenings are also free.
- 1 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 2 Norfolk man arranged sexual exploitation of teen victim
- 3 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 4 Norfolk Coast Path to close for eight weeks
- 5 Woman to stand trial accused of causing death by careless driving
- 6 Diners showered with glass after man smashes pub window
- 7 Delays expected with A47 to close in both directions for 15 miles
- 8 Missing Beccles woman Jaime Larter, 42, found
- 9 Family 'increasingly concerned' about missing Beccles woman
- 10 Man accused of playing naked wrestling game with schoolgirl likely to be jailed