Norfolk Symphony Orchestra, King's Lynn
ALISON CROOSE Every NSO occasion incorporates a very special treat, and this time it was the performance by Sophia Rahman of a Shostakovich piano concerto.a
Every NSO occasion incorporates a very special treat, and this time it was the performance by Sophia Rahman of a Shostakovich piano concerto.
She won many admirers at last year's Lynn Festival and it was good to have the opportunity to witness the highly talented young player interpreting the second piano concerto with such brio.
Sophia looked so business-like but also displayed an infectious enthusiasm which had great emotional impact.
You may also want to watch:
The style of the work demands immaculate technique but equally important is the ability to translate bold melodies and soulful melancholy. Under the direction of James Stobart the orchestra played with great discipline, never displaying its unified force better than in Dvorak's Symphony No 6 with its rich harmonies and invigorating rhythms. The work is not often performed and the audience clearly welcomed the chance to indulge in its pleasures.
A thoroughly entertaining occasion was completed with the musical pictures painted by Strauss in his folk tale, Till Eulenspiegel. The German peasant's adventures proffered the excuse to listen to some bold orchestration.
- 1 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 2 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 3 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 4 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 5 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 6 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 7 Appeal for rescuers to come forward following Sea Palling incident
- 8 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 9 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
t The Norfolk Symphony Orchestra concert was at King's Lynn Corn Exchange.