Norfolk pub launches its music revamp with visit from Alabama 3
- Credit: Marcus Maschwitz
The Banham Barrel will open its refurbished music venue with the only East Anglian performance by the acclaimed Brixton-based Americana outfit on their autumn tour.
A Norfolk pub is set to pull off a coup by opening its revamped music venue with an intimate performance by Alabama 3.
Twenty years since they burst onto the scene blending blues, country, gospel, hip hop and electronica, Brixton's Americana outfit, who normally mix of swamp rock, bluegrass, techno and gospel house, will be giving an unplugged performance at The Banham Barrel.
The Back Room at the south Norfolk pub has been developed from a shed that makes cider into a new 250 capacity live music venue.
New sound and light systems have been recently installed. Events are being supported by Pyramid Audio who provides sound to The Apex in Bury St Edmunds.
You may also want to watch:
Alabama 3 Acoustic will be the first band to play in the refurbished venue at a launch event on November, the only East Anglian date on their autumn tour.
It's been 20 years since the outfit - who aren't from Alabama, nor are they a trio - burst on to the scene with their album Exile On Coldharbour Lane. In homage to the classic Delta blues slide players like Mississippi Fred McDowell, Howling Wolf, John Lee Hooker, the performance will see the band armed only with a battered acoustic guitar and harmonica and Larry Love's gravelly ash-stained vocals on acoustic arrangements of the latest recordings along with their back catalogue of hits.
- 1 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 4 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 5 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 6 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 7 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 8 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 9 7 of the prettiest streets in Norfolk
- 10 Family devastated after death of much-loved and well-known horse
It will be a far more intimate performance than their full band electric performance at the Waterfront in Norwich earlier this year.
Brian McAllister, who has taken over running the pub, said: 'The Banham Barrel pub is hidden away near Banham Zoo and is known to many as The Cider Shed. Live music has always been part of The Barrel and there will be plenty more to come.'
• Alabama 3 Acoustic will play The Banham Barrel, The Appleyard, Kenninghall Road, Banham, on November 5, 8pm, £15, 01603 508050, ueaticketbookings.co.ukRead our review of Alabama 3 at the Waterfront in Norwich