The Norfolk link behind the latest Netflix hit series Altered Carbon
- Credit: Netflix
Altered Carbon - one of the latest hit Netflix series - is actually based on a book by a Norfolk author.
Richard Morgan, who grew up in Hethersett, penned the award-winning brutal body-swap novel Altered Carbon which was first published in 2002.
Set in the 25th century when human personalities can be stored digitally and downloaded into new bodies known as 'sleeves', it tells the story of antihero Takeshi Kovacs, a former UN elite soldier-turned-private investigator, and his attempt to investigate a rich man's death for him.
The book - which was a New York Times Notable Book and won the Philip K. Dick Award in 2003 - has now been released as a 10-part Netflix series and it had previously also been tipped to be made into a Hollywood film.
Mr Morgan, who lives in Norfolk with his wife and young son, is a consultant on the show which is planned to run for five seasons.
You may also want to watch:
Talking to a national newspaper, Mr Morgan said the idea for Altered Carbon originated from an argument he had with a Buddhist at a party about karma.
'If I'd been a literary novelist I'd probably have gone with some kind of ghost story or reincarnation. But I wasn't, I was steeped in sci-fi,' said Mr Morgan, who said he was influenced by Blade Runner as well as the works of William Gibson, Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett .
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 5 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 6 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 7 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 10 Carer caught on CCTV letting dog scratch vulnerable pensioner
Altered Carbon is published by Gollancz and the TV series is on Netflix now.