“No matter which way you divide it, this album is sure to be a big success” - Ed Sheeran, ÷ Review
- Credit: PA
Ed Sheeran is back with his third studio album, ÷ (Divide), which once again suggests the Suffolk singer-songwriter has figured out the formula for success.
Following on from + and x, Sheeran's latest album offers listeners a quirky mixture of pop, folk and hip-hop that makes for an instant hit.
The record will undoubtedly become one of the biggest selling of the year, thanks to early interest driven up through singles such as Castle on the Hill and Shape of You, which stormed the charts upon release in January.
With 16 tracks on the deluxe version of the album, Divide runs for approximately 59 minutes.
Highlights include dramatic ballad, Dive, where Sheeran's vocals are at their very best, Irish jig Galway Girl, a track that will have you up on your feet dancing all night long, and the oh so smooth Perfect, which is sure to become a hot pick as a first dance song at weddings over the coming months.
You may also want to watch:
Eraser, a tune on which Sheeran raps, initially appears to be an unusual inclusion, especially after the singer admitted on Take It Back (from his second album, Multiply) that he's not much of a rapper but a 'singer with a flow'. However a strong chorus, with a 90s boyband sound (I'm looking at you, Backstreet Boys), is this song's saving grace.
West African-inspired Bibia Be Ye Ye and Barcelona will have you longing for summer sunshine, but the former may also leave you scratching your head, wondering what exactly Sheeran is singing about. (The title apparently translates as 'all will be well').
- 1 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 2 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 3 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 4 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 5 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 6 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 7 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 8 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 9 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
- 10 'My heart was racing' - Horse rider's shocking encounter with speeding van
While it may lack the slight sauciness of his last album, Divide still manages to provide everything diehard fans could possibly want in an Ed Sheeran record.
Despite the cliché, there truly is something for everyone on here - from fun songs that'll have you humming along to tearful ballads reminiscent of the likes of Thinking Out Loud.
No matter which way you divide it, this album is sure to be a big success.
÷ (Deluxe edition) full tracklist
2. Castle on the Hill
4. Shape of You
6. Galway Girl
8. New Man
9. Hearts Don't Break Around Here
10. What Do I Know?
11. How Would You Feel (Paean)
12. Supermarket Flowers
14. Bibia Be Ye Ye
15. Nancy Mulligan
16. Save Myself