Newmarket Nights organisers say event will be reviewed after families’ criticism of Little Mix concert
- Credit: Archant
Organisers of a horse racing and music event have responded to claims that drunken crowds became violent and trampled over young children during a performance by pop band Little Mix.
Friday's Newmarket Nights event at the Racecourse left some families 'disgusted' by the behaviour and alleged lack of security.
Complaints posted on social media claimed some of the younger concert goers were injured by rowdy and drunken crowd-members, while others were said to have been left 'traumatised' by their experience.
Disabled visitors also said they felt poorly treated by staff and some of the 'VIP' guests, whose enclosure they were next to.
Organisers have apologised to anyone who did not have a good experience and said they will review the event.
You may also want to watch:
Amy Starkey, managing director of Newmarket Racecourse, said: 'We had 22,000 people [on Friday] night on site to watch racing and Little Mix perform after racing.
'We widely advertise our music events as racing plus music. We had a steady flow of people arriving with a record number of police and security on site.
- 1 Norfolk teacher, preacher and scout leader indecently assaulted four boys
- 2 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 3 12 police vehicles called to 'very serious' crash in west Norfolk
- 4 Have you had 'the worst cold ever' which is ripping through Norfolk?
- 5 Fire crews called to Norfolk village
- 6 Mum's tear-jerking tribute to 'inspiring' teen
- 7 A146 outside Norwich closed after collision between bus and pedestrian
- 8 Meet the Yarmouth firm on tonight's Grand Designs
- 9 Town council chaos emerges with groups not paying rent for decades
- 10 Man, 67, named after fatal single vehicle crash
'The team and I remain absolutely committed to ensuring that anybody that comes to enjoy racing and or music has a good experience and if for whatever reason that experience isn't in line with their expectation then I apologise.
'We also had our local authority safety advisory group last night conducting a full inspection and of course we will review the event in its entirety and look to improve based on customer feedback.
'Newmarket has hosted in excess of 200 music events in 30 years.'
Some 20,000 people are expected to flock to Norwich in September to watch Little Mix at Earlham Park.