New season: Norwich Theatre Royal
MARK NICHOLLS A glittering new season is set to take off at the Theatre Royal in Norwich. Household favourites such as Lulu, Norman Wisdom, Jim Davidson, Nicholas Lyndhurst, Bill Wyman, Lenny Henry and David Essex will be appearing over the next few months.
A glittering new season is set to take off at the Theatre Royal in Norwich.
Household favourites such as Lulu, Norman Wisdom, Jim Davidson, Nicholas Lyndhurst, Bill Wyman, Lenny Henry and David Essex will be appearing over the next few months.
There will be drama and music, plus the best of opera and classical dance.
And children's favourites old and new, with Wheels on the Bus, Fimbles, Scooby-Doo and Bananas in Pyjamas all on stage.
The season highlights include Norman Wisdom and Jess Conrad in a music and comedy variety show on October 17, while another regular at the Theatre Royal, David Essex, stars in the 80s musical Boogie Nights (September 18-23) with former EastEnder Sophie Lawrence and Scott Robinson from boy band 5ive.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 3 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 4 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 5 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 6 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 7 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 8 'Ghetto' fears raised over scheme for 725 new homes
- 9 Which Norfolk hospital has the longest ambulance handovers?
- 10 Pub landlord threatened to kill man he chased through streets with axe
Within the space of a week there will be performances from Lulu (September 24), Lenny Henry (September 26-27), Bill Wyman (September 29) and Ladysmith Black Mambazo (September 30).
Nicholas Lyndhurst, famous for his role as Rodney in Only Fools and Horses, stars with Julian Glover in Ronald Harwood's portrait of backstage life in The Dresser (November 2-6).
A faithful adaptation of the cult 60s radio show is played out in Round the Horne Revisited (November 25-27), followed soon after by the musical version of The Full Monty, which runs from November 30 to December 11.
And then panto season gets into full swing. Sleeping Beauty runs from December 19 to January 22, with former Bad Girls and Casualty star Nicole Faraday.
Other highlights are Cole Porter's classic musical High Society (February 28 to March 5) and Miss Saigon (April 5-30).
Annie, featuring Su Pollard, is on September 7-11, followed by the Chisinau National Opera with Aida, Cavalleria Rusticana and I Pagliacci on September 16-18.
The theatre also hosts the Rambert Dance Company, Northern Ballet Theatre, St Petersburg Ballet Theatre of Konstantin Tatchkine, Richard Alston Dance Company and Glyndbourne on Tour.
And Jim Davidson is joined throughout the season with fellow comics Jethro, pub landlord Al Murray and Harry Hill.
You can see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and Hamlet in October.
t For more information, call the box office on 01603 630000 or visit www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk