Five Norwich restaurants help to cook up a theatrical treat
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
Five Norwich restaurants are helping to cook up a theatrical treat that is set to be served up at Norwich Theatre Royal's Stage Two in September.
Gastronomic is the latest show to be created by innovative Norwich theatre company curious directive who will also be adding state-of-the art augmented reality into the recipe for the high-flying show.
At each performance about 40 audience members will 'board' a long haul flight on an Airbus A380 and they will be treated to a five-course tasting menu as well as their own in-flight screen which will add an extra dimension to their immersive dining experience.
As they fly over oceans, deserts and rainforests, the food will accompany stories about why and how the three chefs in the show came to be there.
The five-course taster menu is being created by Richard Bainbridge from Benedicts, Shun Tomii from Shiki, Dalsukh Jetani from Namaste Village, Richard Hughes from The Assembly House, and Keith Cottrell from Norwich Theatre Royal's Kemp's Restaurant.
You may also want to watch:
Jack Lowe, founder of curious directive and part of Gastronomic's devising team, said the idea came from a free online course looking at how and why politicians take the act of eating together so seriously.
'From that, we chose an airline to place characters and their stories as food becomes the soundtrack to some of the most important conversations imaginable,' he said.
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 5 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 6 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 7 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 8 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 9 People told to shut doors and windows after suspected gas leak
- 10 Do you recognise this man?
The show is being devised throughout August with performers Janet Etuk, Georgina Strawson and Craig Hamilton.
Stephen Crocker, chief executive of Norwich Theatre Royal which is co-commissioning the show along with curious directive, said: 'We thought this is the opportunity to do something truly extraordinary. We've got Jack and curious directive, one of the brilliant young theatre companies in the country right now, and five amazing chefs from across our brilliant city. We are just going to throw it all in a pot, stir it all together and hopefully produce an amazing show.'
Gastronomic is being created with support from the National Theatre Immersive Storytelling Studio.
• Gastronomic is at Stage Two, at Norwich Theatre Royal, from September 6 to 22. Visit www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk