Matilda’s ‘massive acheivement’ landing dream Les Mis role
- Credit: Archant
Talented young performer Matilda Bailes has landed her dream role in a production of the musical Les Misérables.
The former Aylsham High School pupil beat off competition from more than 40 people to win the part of street smart teenager ?ponine in the Norfolk Youth Music Theatre production.
Matilda, a second year Paston Sixth Form College student studying drama and theatre studies, English literature and performance, and was delighted to hear the news.
'This is one of my dream roles and the first lead I have had out of school or college,' she explained.
'There was over 40 people who auditioned for the role of ?ponine, so it feels like a massive achievement and I am very grateful to Norfolk Youth Music Theatre for giving me the opportunity,'
You may also want to watch:
Matilda will be performing the solo On my Own, which expresses the unrequited love her character holds for Marius during the show at The Playhouse in Norwich.
Having previously performed in various musical and drama productions at The Sheringham Little Theatre and Theatre Royal Norwich, with the Norfolk Youth Music Theatre, Matilda is excited to be progressing her drama career, taking centre stage in a leading role.
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 3 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 4 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 5 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 6 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 7 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 8 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 9 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 10 Decision due over controversial plans for 200 new homes
She said: 'I am very nervous, as this will be the first time on my own to sing in front of such a large audience. However, I have three rehearsals a week for the next two months, so I know I will be fully prepared and ready to perform with confidence.'
Matilda's dream is to become an actress on the National Theatre stage. She has applied to study at Guildford School of Acting, LAMDA and Rose Bruford, has had one re-call for an audition and is waiting find out whether she has a re-call for her first choice.
Les Misérables is at the Playhouse, Norwich from April 11-15. Tickets are available on 01603 598598 or online at www.norwichplayhouse.co.uk