Marriage of Figaro
MICHAEL DRAKE Gresham's School Auden Theatre, Holt
> Gresham's School Auden Theatre, Holt
Fifteen years on the North Norfolk Chamber Opera continue with the versatility of their productions with a return to Mozart.
Sung in English the performance is particularly notable for the diction of the whole company and for the fact that Jeffrey Davies' direction ensures that the action always flows and this is so as much as anywhere in the Recitatives which tell most of the story.
You may also want to watch:
The small Arion Chamber orchestra conducted by Geoff Davidson leads the well-loved music in admirable fashion and while the sets, also under Jeffrey Davies' direction, are fairly minimal against a black backdrop they, too, are effective.
The principals all work extremely hard with the most artistic musical moments coming from Susanna (Jayne Burch) and the Countess (Janette Davidson) who has a delightful duet at the end of Act 3, as well as the haughty Marcellina (Karen Harries). While Peter Brayne could to advantage colour his voice more his Count is full of pomposity and he does not tire. Nick Bird as Figaro might also add more vocal warmth to his confident stage craft and in fact there is also much to admire in the acting of the whole cast. Doctor Bartollo (Andy Wagstaff) is a very straight lawyer and the Don Basillio of Marcus Patteson a comic master of the glance while Liz Lorenzo as Cherubino plays her/his part shyly but with simple effectiveness.
- 1 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 2 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 3 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 4 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 5 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 6 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
- 7 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road
- 8 Norwich Airport puts back a host of flights as Covid bites
- 9 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 10 Two men charged with murder of 23-year-old
A phrase which perhaps sums up this enterprising production which continues until Saturday, April 2.