Lord Mayor’s Celebrations: Talented family The Volko Trio to take to the stage
- Credit: Archant
They are a family of many talents.
The Volko Trio – dad Kriss Volkovitch and Hector, 10, and Calypso, eight – excel with any instrument they lay their fingers on.
Led by young Hector on the vibraphone, the family unit have been touring their own brand of Latin and funk jazz at gigs including Latitude and Norwich Rocks, and will now grace the stage at the Launch Pad at the Lord Mayor's Celebrations.
Mr Volkovitch said the band succeeded because they are such a tight household, with wife and mother Rebecca handling everything from management and PR to transport and food, alongside her full time interpreter work.
'Hector is the total leader and front man for the band. It is him leading me rather than the other way around,' he said. 'He plays all the melodies and is also the main soloist. Because we live together we practise every day. Everyone turns up on time and nobody can escape. In a normal band the hard part is getting everyone together and there are a lot of arguments, but we never fall out because we are a family. We all love the same kind of music but there can be moods.
You may also want to watch:
'We home school them because we believe in excellence, and we want to get the best out of our kids. We never really tried to start a band. I was trying to put a Latin salsa event together, and I found this vibraphone and Hector just started playing it. We started following a simple beat for a jam, and it just happened by complete chance.'
The Volko Trio will be at the celebrations Launch Pad on July 2 before continuing to tour, in collaboration with Craig Charles's son Jack Tyson Charles.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 3 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 4 Banham Poultry taken over by owner of Bernard Matthews and 2 Sisters
- 5 'A lovely talented man': Tributes to Cromer Pier Show headliner Phil Butler
- 6 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 7 Patients speak out as surgeon who botched surgeries still working
- 8 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 9 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 10 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school