Jo Caulfield - Won't Shut Up!
Eve StebbingNorwich PlayhouseEve Stebbing
When in the presence of Jo Caulfield, you just don't argue. This lady was born for comedy: she's got the quick kind of wit that can make you draw breath, like somebody's just dropped ice cubes down your back. Not only has she stormed Radio 4, with her show: It's That Jo Caulfield Again! but she's also the writer behind the likes of Graham Norton.
Looking around the audience, many of the men, however, were laughing a bit weakly.
I was reminded of my father's reaction to the all-girl comedy Girls On Top with Ruby Wax, and it turns out that Wax and Caulfield are indeed, collaborators. Seems to me that Caulfield is best enjoyed as a girls' night out. All the more so, because this is not really like ordinary stand-up: it's more of a script meeting with an awesome BBC comedy writer.
You may also want to watch:
Billed as a gig, however, I'm not sure how easily the material comes across. If I were her consultant, I'd suggest she twist the act and set her jokes in the context of some of her extensive showbiz experience. She's a mover and shaker in British comedy - but for all her talk, we didn't get much of her story.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 4 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 5 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 6 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 7 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 8 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 9 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 10 Cycling trail among ideas for new country park