Jasper Carrott issues apology after cancelling appearance at Holt Festival
- Credit: Holt Festival
TV funnyman Jasper Carrott has issued a public apology after being forced to cancel his appearance at the Holt Festival - just days before his sold-out show.
The Birmingham-based comedian was due to have a heart bypass operation in August. However, the date has been brought forward and now clashes with the closing event on July 30.
Organisers admitted they are disappointed but pointed out there is still plenty on offer at the annual event in North Norfolk which opens on Saturday, July 22.
In a statement, Jasper said: 'I'm desperately sorry to disappoint all the people who have bought tickets for the show in Holt, which I was really looking forward to.
'I've been told what a lovely setting the Theatre in the Woods is and it was an honour to be invited to perform the closing concert.
You may also want to watch:
'Whilst it's not desperate it is obviously something I need to get done as soon as possible.'
And he added: 'I'd like to thank everyone for their understanding and extend my apologies for the disruption and inconvenience this has caused. I sincerely hope I can rearrange the date in the future to make up for it.'
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Man seriously injured after crash
- 3 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 4 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 5 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 6 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 7 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 8 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 9 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 10 Grab your binoculars to see the Moon, Mars and Uranus together
The show would have seen Jasper doing a stand-up comedy act before introducing his musical friends Bev Bevan and Geoff Turton.
The 72-year-old comedian is going into hospital in August for the surgery and will need three months to recover.
His manager Steve Hutt said: 'This wasn't a decision we took lightly, previously he has only ever cancelled one gig in his entire career!'
Full ticket refunds are being offered to those who booked tickets. Ticket holders should contact the Festival box office at Theatre Royal Norwich via 01603 598699 or in person at the theatre box office, Theatre Street, Norwich NR2 1RL.
Charles Pugh, Artistic Director of Holt Festival, said: 'While this is obviously a great disappointment we all understand that Jasper must put his health first. We shall look at all the options to reschedule the show, but in the meantime on behalf of everyone at Holt Festival and all his many fans in Norfolk I should like to send Jasper our very best wishes for a speedy recovery from his operation.'
For details of the other events at this year's Holt Festival log on to the following website: www.holtfestival.org