Huge demand for Elton John tickets
Music fans have deluged a ticket hotline selling seats for one of Norwich's biggest ever concerts. Rock superstar Elton John is to perform at Norwich City's Carrow Road stadium on May 29 as part of a UK tour, and today advance tickets went on sale to Canaries fans.
Music fans have deluged a ticket hotline selling seats for one of Norwich's biggest ever concerts.
Rock superstar Elton John is to perform at Norwich City's Carrow Road stadium on May 29 as part of a UK tour, and today advance tickets went on sale to Canaries fans.
The sought-after seats were put up for grabs at 9am by phone and on the internet, with the cheapest £35 tickets sold out by early afternoon and the £40 and £75 seats going soon after.
More tickets will be released on February 17 when booking is opened up to the general public.
Concert promoter Ben Martin of Marshall Arts said he was unable to give exact ticket numbers but said demand had been strong, with 80 operators kept busy with sales.
“It is the biggest event that Norwich has ever had and I'm sure that fans will want to get to see Elton John at their own home ground,” said Mr Martin.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 3 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 4 Teenager admits stabbing three people in Norwich city centre
- 5 More than 80 Norfolk parishes protest against wind farm plans
- 6 Man stopped 504 people from getting jabs after gluing vaccine centre locks
- 7 MP 'not concerned' about single Omicron case in north Norfolk
- 8 Norfolk hotel set to launch five romantic orchard cabins next year
- 9 Tributes paid to much-loved family man who died in A143 crash
- 10 Road closed for 'emergency' repairs to Victorian footbridge
Some early callers hit a hitch when the ticket hotline details provided to Canaries fans at Saturday's match and on the club's website connected to an old message for events at Crystal Palace FC.
Norwich fan and Elton John fan Kevin Gowing from Ilketshall, near Bungay, was caught in the early morning confusion.
“I phoned and I got a recorded message saying all the events at Crystal Palace had sold out. When I tried phoning the Norwich City box office they said they are not selling the tickets and gave me the same number,” he said.
“Eventually I phoned the club and they said they had had a few calls and would sort it out.”
Mr Gowing eventually got through and bought four tickets for the May gig.
Sir Elton is expected to be on stage for two hours, performing a range of hits from his back catalogue through to tracks from his latest album, Peachtree Road.
The Carrow Road date will be his second appearance in the region in less than a year, after appearing Ipswich Town's Portman Road ground in June.
The show is on the UK leg of a global tour, with football stadium dates in Reading, Bolton, Watford, Coventry and Edinburgh.
t Public ticket sales start on February 17 from See Tickets (www.seetickets.com or 0870 060 0244), Ticketmaster (www.ticketmaster.co.uk or 0870 534 4444) and Ticketline (www.ticketline.co.uk or 0870 444 5556). Tickets are not available from the Carrow Road box office.