Happy Birthday, Hugh Maguire
FRANK CLIFF Jubilee Hall, Aldeburgh
Jubilee Hall, Aldeburgh
The distinguished career of violinist Hugh Maguire - who was 80 on Saturday - includes leader of the BBC Symphony Orchestra, the Royal Opera and the Allegri Quartet, but he would probably say the 30 years he has been head of strings at Snape has given him greatest satisfaction.
Some of the ensembles he has coached - the Kamus, Rubens, Promotao, Danel, Navarra and Elias quartets - gathered at Aldeburgh at the weekend for a birthday celebration.
The Kamus quartet began with Mozart's K387, with a reading in which a wide range of dynamics, fast tempi and calculated use of vibrato seemed geared to a “period” performance, and a very polished one too.
The Rubens began with Sofia Gubaidinala's second quartet of 1987 - mesmeric and hauntingly beautiful - and followed with an authoritative performance of Beethoven's opus 135.
- 1 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 2 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 3 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 4 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 5 Scammers targeting Norfolk homes with fake parcel deliveries
- 6 Heavy delays on major Norfolk road after crash
- 7 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
- 8 Soldier from Norwich jailed over rape of girl
- 9 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 10 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
It was a splendid beginning to a joyous celebration.