Happy Birthday, Hugh Maguire
FRANK CLIFF Jubilee Hall, Aldeburgh
Jubilee Hall, Aldeburgh
The distinguished career of violinist Hugh Maguire - who was 80 on Saturday - includes leader of the BBC Symphony Orchestra, the Royal Opera and the Allegri Quartet, but he would probably say the 30 years he has been head of strings at Snape has given him greatest satisfaction.
Some of the ensembles he has coached - the Kamus, Rubens, Promotao, Danel, Navarra and Elias quartets - gathered at Aldeburgh at the weekend for a birthday celebration.
You may also want to watch:
The Kamus quartet began with Mozart's K387, with a reading in which a wide range of dynamics, fast tempi and calculated use of vibrato seemed geared to a “period” performance, and a very polished one too.
The Rubens began with Sofia Gubaidinala's second quartet of 1987 - mesmeric and hauntingly beautiful - and followed with an authoritative performance of Beethoven's opus 135.
- 1 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 2 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 3 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 4 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 5 Former car showroom could make way for 146 student flats
- 6 Man exposed himself to three teenage girls at Morrisons
- 7 Wanted Norwich man arrested in north Norfolk village
- 8 BBC Springwatch films at Norfolk nature haven - with beavers
- 9 'Vulnerable' Norfolk man missing from home
- 10 'This is nature' - Sadness as cathedral peregrine chick dies
It was a splendid beginning to a joyous celebration.