Gig of the week: The Kooks
COLIN WILSON Brighton youngsters the Kooks play a sold-out concert at the Waterfront, Norwich, on Tuesday night. When the boys were barely out of high school, the singles Eddie's Gun and Sofa Song blasted this young four-piece into the top 40 with a sugar-rush of sunshine harmonies and fizzy guitars in late 2005.
Brighton youngsters the Kooks play a sold-out concert at the Waterfront, Norwich, on Tuesday night.
When the boys were barely out of high school, the singles Eddie's Gun and Sofa Song blasted this young four-piece into the top 40 with a sugar-rush of sunshine harmonies and fizzy guitars in late 2005.
The Kooks' debut album, Inside In/Inside Out, released in January, showcased everything vital and inventive about the band, skimming influences such as the Velvet Underground, Marvin Gaye, the Clash, the Kinks and Prince. The album entered the UK charts at number five and featured the first two singles, the top 20 hit You Don't Love Me and the recent number six hit Naïve.
You may also want to watch:
With their album holding steady in the top 10 of the UK album charts, tour dates sold-out and the summer festivals calling their name, things couldn't be looking better for the mop-haired boys from Brighton.
Support comes from Dan Sartain, a 23-year-old from Birmingham, Alabama who belts out his songs with the insight of a man who's known a lifetime of hard, and occasionally good, times. He will be playing songs from his new album Dan Sartain vs the Serpientes.
- 1 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 4 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 5 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 6 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 7 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 8 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 9 Music-lovers' pub could be demolished for 23 flats
- 10 Firefighters tackle 'deliberate' house fire
Doors 7.30pm. Tickets - returns only.
Tel: 01603 508050