Gig of the week: The Kooks
COLIN WILSON Brighton youngsters the Kooks play a sold-out concert at the Waterfront, Norwich, on Tuesday night. When the boys were barely out of high school, the singles Eddie's Gun and Sofa Song blasted this young four-piece into the top 40 with a sugar-rush of sunshine harmonies and fizzy guitars in late 2005.
Brighton youngsters the Kooks play a sold-out concert at the Waterfront, Norwich, on Tuesday night.
When the boys were barely out of high school, the singles Eddie's Gun and Sofa Song blasted this young four-piece into the top 40 with a sugar-rush of sunshine harmonies and fizzy guitars in late 2005.
The Kooks' debut album, Inside In/Inside Out, released in January, showcased everything vital and inventive about the band, skimming influences such as the Velvet Underground, Marvin Gaye, the Clash, the Kinks and Prince. The album entered the UK charts at number five and featured the first two singles, the top 20 hit You Don't Love Me and the recent number six hit Naïve.
With their album holding steady in the top 10 of the UK album charts, tour dates sold-out and the summer festivals calling their name, things couldn't be looking better for the mop-haired boys from Brighton.
Support comes from Dan Sartain, a 23-year-old from Birmingham, Alabama who belts out his songs with the insight of a man who's known a lifetime of hard, and occasionally good, times. He will be playing songs from his new album Dan Sartain vs the Serpientes.
- 1 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 2 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 3 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 4 Scammers targeting Norfolk homes with fake parcel deliveries
- 5 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 6 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 7 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
- 8 Heavy delays on major Norfolk road after crash
- 9 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 10 'Our homes will be destroyed' - Neighbours' fears over proposed pylon route
Doors 7.30pm. Tickets - returns only.
Tel: 01603 508050