Game Of Thrones season 7: Ed Sheeran makes star cameo alongside Arya Stark in first episode of new series
- Credit: Archant
Ed Sheeran took on the role of a Lannister soldier as he made his hotly-anticipated cameo in the latest episode of Game Of Thrones.
The Shape Of You hitmaker appeared alongside Maisie Williams, who plays Arya Stark in the HBO drama, as the seventh series got underway in the early hours of this morning.
The Suffolk singer had confirmed his appearance in the fantasy hit earlier this year – but last night hinted to his fans that they might see him sooner than they think.
Posting a picture of two cats on his Instagram page, he said: 'Sunday = cat picture. Also, watch Game of Thrones tonight x'.
The show aired at 2am this morning on Sky Atlantic and will be repeated tonight at 9pm.
You may also want to watch:
Ed divulged details about his appearance during a game of 'beer pong' with radio host Tom Green in May.
He said he would appear alongside Maisie, who is a massive fan of his.
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 2 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 3 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 4 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 5 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 6 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
- 7 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 8 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 9 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 10 A11 to undergo 18 months of roadworks
'I sing a song and then she goes, 'Oh, that's a nice song,' and I go, 'It's a new one',' he explained.
In the episisode entitled Dragonstone Arya comes across a group of Lannister soldiers enjoying a sing-song around a campfire having killed the Frey men who took part in her mother and brother's murder at the Red Wedding.
Sheeran and his party offer Arya food and wine around a campfire before the youngest Stark daughter begins her journey to King's Landing with the intention of killing Cersei.
David Benioff and DB Weiss, the series' screen writers, told the South by Southwest Film Festival they had convinced Ed to appear after discovering Williams was a superfan.
'For years we were trying to get Ed Sheeran on the show to surprise Maisie and this year we finally did it,' they said.
The lyrics to Ed's GoT song are as follows...
'He rode through the streets of the city / Down from his hill on high / O'er the winds and the steps and the cobbles / He rode to a woman's sigh / For she was his secret treasure / She was his shame and his bliss / And a chain and a keep are nothing / Compared to a woman's kiss / For hands of gold are always cold / But a woman's hands are warm.'