From Sisqó to Heather Small: Here’s what’s coming up at UEA and The Waterfront over the next few months
- Credit: UEA Students' Union.
In this new monthly feature, Sara Davey from UEA Student's Union talks us through upcoming events at the LCR and Waterfront in Norwich, looks at their favourite gig of the month and shares some of her favourite reactions from social media...
Whilst everyone has been away enjoying festivals, we have been working extra hard behind the scenes getting more and more events booked for Autumn and Winter.
• Everyone here is super excited that quixotic and emotionally involving trio, Future Islands, will be at The LCR on Sunday 26th November. Tickets are already flying out!
• Frank Iero and the Patience caused a Twitter frenzy when we recently announced the former My Chemical Romance guitarist will be at The Waterfront on Monday 9th October.
• Hardcore legend Henry Rollins is also causing a stir. The Black Flag frontman will be at The LCR on Thursday 8th February with his Travel Slideshow. Rollins will present a special performance drawing on experiences and his vast archive of photographs.
You may also want to watch:
• X Factor runner up and critically acclaimed star Rebecca Ferguson will be performing live at The LCR on Saturday 17th February 2017! We've all enjoyed watching her flourish, growing from the shy twenty-something on our TV screens 7 years ago to the confident songwriter and stunning performer she is today.
• We're very excited to introduce Cub Fest, a new indie all-dayer. Catch Louis Berry, Eliza And The Bear, Clean Cut Kid, The Night Cafe, Anteros, Island, Paris Youth Foundation, Stereo Honey and more at The Waterfront on Sunday 15th October.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 3 Two people arrested during police operation in south Norfolk
- 4 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 5 Roadside restaurant aiming to re-open before Christmas
- 6 'A lovely talented man': Tributes to Cromer Pier Show headliner Phil Butler
- 7 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 8 Banham Poultry taken over by owner of Bernard Matthews and 2 Sisters
- 9 Two men arrested on suspicion of money laundering in Thetford
- 10 Patients speak out as surgeon who botched surgeries still working
• Heather Small, the voice of M People, will headline The Waterfront on 18th April 2018! As Part of M People, hits such as 'Moving On Up', 'One Night In Heaven' and 'Search For The Hero' meant Heather became one of the seminal British voices of the 1990.
• Mancunian alt-rockers, Iggy Pop collaborators, BBC 6 Music favourites, and general fierce babes PINS will be bringing their girl power vibes to The Waterfront Studio on Monday 6th November.
• One for R&B fans: SisQó will be at The LCR with Dru Hill and Ginuwine on Tuesday 10th Oct!
• Shout out to our friends over at Norwich Arts Centre, for securing Peace and The Big Moon for Norwich Sound & Vision headliners this year!
• July has also seen us confirm new shows for: Starsailor, Dodie, The Hoosiers, Bugzy Malone, The Britpop Reboot, Strange Bones, Broken Witt Rebels, Highly Suspect, Nothing But Thieves, Switchfoot, Flyte, Skid Row and more. Head to www.ueaticketbookings.co.uk for more info.
From the archives: Frank Black and The Catholics - 2003
A few of here in the office headed to The Junction in Cambridge early in July for an intimate show with the Pixies. It was incredible, if not somewhat cramped! The band played 33 songs in just over two hours, including an encore of Into The White, during which they shrouded the stage and audience in white smoke and then just… disappeared! We're pretty keen on Charles Thompson and anything to do with the Pixies - be it the Breeders, The Amps or Grand Duchy – so it seemed fitting that this month's throwback is to Frank Black and The Catholics at The Waterfront in 2003. Not only did Frank Black treat us to a stellar set of his own material, he was generous enough to give us a little Pixies too!
Gig of the month
It's got to be Ducking Punches in The Waterfront Studio on 2nd July! It was really great to welcome the hometown heroes to our stage. We're really passionate about supporting local acts, and really enjoy seeing them develop and grow. Ducking Punches are now signed to Xtra Mile Records meaning they're label-mates with Chris TT, Future of the Left and Beans on Toast and more. They've also supported Frank Turner on tour and he is featured on their latest album 'Fizzy Brain'.
Their show here at the beginning of the month really showcased their folk-tinged-punk prowess – the band have such a high energy and encouraging attitude on them. We received absolute rave reviews over social media the day after the show, too. Hopefully they will be back soon!
• Have you been to a gig at UEA/Waterfront recently? What did you think, let us know in the comments below.