From Gary Numan to Cub Fest: Here’s what’s coming up at UEA and the Waterfront over the next few months
- Credit: PA
In this new monthly feature, Sara Davey from UEA Student's Union talks us through upcoming events at the LCR and Waterfront in Norwich, looks at their favourite gig of the month and shares some of her favourite reactions from social media...
• We've just announced some line up additions for our new indie all dayer, Cub Fest! at Will Joseph Cook, The Extons, Marigolds and The Islas will be joining Louis Berry, Eliza & The Bear, Clean Cut Kid, Anteros, Island, Paris Youth Foundation and more for a showcase of new and exciting artists at The Waterfront on Sunday 15th October!
• We're very excited about this one! Everything Everything will be returning to Norwich, and taking to the stage at The LCR for the first time on Friday 2nd March 2018.
• American rock legends Alien Ant Farm are bringing their 'Attitude' to The Waterfront stage on Saturday 10th February.
• This one is for Peep Show fans – the show's Super Hans is bringing his Big Beat Manifest to The Waterfront on Thursday 2nd November. Tickets are already flying out so act fast!
You may also want to watch:
• Declan McKenna is also making a return to see us in celebration of releasing his debut album 'What Do You Think About The Car?' – Catch him at The Waterfront on Monday 30th October.
• Don't miss The Sounds Of Black Uhuru (1977-1985) Performed by Mykal Rose at The Waterfront on Thursday 19th October. Classic reggae at it's best!
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 4 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 5 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 6 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 7 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 8 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 9 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 10 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
• Tigercub absolutely smashed it at Reading and Leads Festival in August – we can't wait for them to play at The Waterfront Studio on Friday 27th October!
• American rap rock band Hollywood Undead will be at The LCR on Saturday 27th January. If you missed out last time they visited, don't make the same mistake again!
• Gather your foliage, because indie rock heroes British Sea Power are playing at The Waterfront on Saturday 21st October.
• R&B Fans! AKON & Konvict Kartel will be at The LCR on 28th of October. Special guests are Tre Carter, OG Boo Dirty and Tone Tone.
• Known for sensational, flat-out singing with a timeless appeal, The Overtones are performing at The LCR on Saturday 3rd March.
• Marking the tenth anniversary of their debut album This Machine, The JB Conspiracy will touring the UK and Europe playing it in full. Catch the at The Waterfront Studio on Wednesday 8th November.
• Manchester outfit Pale Waves will play a run of dates this autumn – including The Waterfront Studio on Wednesday 25th October - fresh after the release of their current single 'Television Romance', and an appearance at Reading & Leeds Festival.
From the archives... Gary Numan at The Waterfront, September 1991
Gary Numan is what you might call a fairly frequent visitor to Norwich, with at least eight visits to The Waterfront and The LCR. The first one we have on record is 24th September 1991 but we're pretty sure he stopped by before then – if anyone remembers, please get in touch!
Mr Numan was last in our fine city last September, alongside I Speak Machine - an audio visual collaboration between Tara Busch and Maf Lewis. Originally planned for The Waterfront, the show sold out sharpish and was then upgraded to The LCR. We saw over 1200 attendees through the door, who all looked to enjoy the evening as much as we did!
In case you missed it, Gary Numan is due back to The LCR on Tuesday 17th October! Support comes from Jayce Lewis.
What people said
The Overtones seemed to be getting people excited this month! @KirstyEllis88 said: 'So happy about this. Cannot wait to get tickets!'
As did Alien Ant Farm: 'Tickets in sale on payday? Made the mistake of selling my ticket last time? Falls on a weekend off? Oh go on then..' - Luke Joseph Elliott
Vant also gave us a shout out: @wearevant 'Thanks Norwich! Massive shout out to the @WaterfrontNR1 for letting us stay & fix our gear ahead of the big day! @OfficialRandL you're next!'
Gig of the month
The gig of the month for August has to be London punks VANT at The Waterfront Studio. VANT first came in to our lives in November 2015 and we've followed their ever since, so we were excited to have them back! They certainly didn't disappoint, with lots of energy, political themes and an engaging front man. After much pleading from the audience, we were treated to an encore to finish off the evening with a spirited end.
Support came from local acts Black Shuk and We'll Be Detectives who both did a great job getting the busy crowd excited and doing their thing. Both bands were confident, lively and ones to watch. Keep an eye on them, Norwich!