Fresh urban mix from MIA
COLIN WILSON Fresh new artist MIA, who wowed audiences at the SXSW conference in Texas earlier this year, plays the Waterfront, Norwich, on Thursday, June 23.
Fresh new artist MIA, who wowed audiences at the SXSW conference in Texas earlier this year, plays the Waterfront, Norwich, on Thursday, June 23.
MIA has joined fellow Britpackers such as Bloc Party and Kaiser Chiefs in getting the Yanks hot under the collar over the UK's musical renaissance and is freshly signed to Dr Dre's label in America.
Hailing from Sri Lanka via London, MIA released her eagerly-awaited debut album Arular to critical acclaim through XL Recordings (home to Basement Jaxx, Dizzee Rascal and the White Stripes) in April. In just 40 minutes she has produced an unparalleled mongrel mix of
hip-hop, ragga, dancehall, electro and punk.
Delivered in her spitting, scattergun style, topics such as teenage prostitution, poverty, war and consumerism all play off each other against a backdrop of dislocated beats and pounding basslines.
- 1 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 2 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 3 Norwich firm part of growing number of businesses working four day weeks
- 4 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 5 Teenager died of injuries six days after crash
- 6 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 7 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 8 John Lewis CCTV footage leads to Norwich gun arrests
- 9 A year on: Tributes to teacher who died following tumour diagnosis
- 10 1920s bungalow up for sale in one of the Broads' most sought-after villages
The tour coincides with the release of her new single Bucky Done Gun which hits the shops on Monday.
Doors 7.30pm. Tickets at £9.50 in advance are available in Norwich from UEA Union, Waterfront, Soundclash and HMV. Credit card bookings: 01603 508050 or www.ueaticketbookings.co.uk