Fresh urban mix from MIA
COLIN WILSON Fresh new artist MIA, who wowed audiences at the SXSW conference in Texas earlier this year, plays the Waterfront, Norwich, on Thursday, June 23.
Fresh new artist MIA, who wowed audiences at the SXSW conference in Texas earlier this year, plays the Waterfront, Norwich, on Thursday, June 23.
MIA has joined fellow Britpackers such as Bloc Party and Kaiser Chiefs in getting the Yanks hot under the collar over the UK's musical renaissance and is freshly signed to Dr Dre's label in America.
Hailing from Sri Lanka via London, MIA released her eagerly-awaited debut album Arular to critical acclaim through XL Recordings (home to Basement Jaxx, Dizzee Rascal and the White Stripes) in April. In just 40 minutes she has produced an unparalleled mongrel mix of
You may also want to watch:
hip-hop, ragga, dancehall, electro and punk.
Delivered in her spitting, scattergun style, topics such as teenage prostitution, poverty, war and consumerism all play off each other against a backdrop of dislocated beats and pounding basslines.
- 1 Missing man found by off-duty police officer
- 2 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 3 Man jailed for 24 years for raping and sexually assaulting two girls
- 4 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 5 Man charged after cannabis factory and 300 plants found above pizza takeaway
- 6 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 7 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Early hours arrests as part of 'ongoing police investigation'
- 10 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
The tour coincides with the release of her new single Bucky Done Gun which hits the shops on Monday.
Doors 7.30pm. Tickets at £9.50 in advance are available in Norwich from UEA Union, Waterfront, Soundclash and HMV. Credit card bookings: 01603 508050 or www.ueaticketbookings.co.uk