Flamenco dancers Jairo Barrull and Manuela Vargas to perform at Norwich’s Maddermarket Theatre
- Credit: Archant
Flamenco dancer Jairo Barrull presents his new show 'Dos Ramas' with flamenco dancer Manuela Vargas at the Maddermarket Theatre on Friday, April 11.
'Dos Ramas' is a show that represents two different gypsy flamenco styles that were pioneered by Ramón Barrull and Isidro Vargas. Ramón's son Jairo Barrull and Isidro's daughter Manuela Vargas follow their fathers' footsteps and proudly uphold the family tradition.
Seville was one of the birthplaces of flamenco and it is a widely accepted opinion that there are three main gypsy dance schools in Seville that specialise in the 'macho style'. Isidro Vargas and Ramón Barrull are two of those schools, both of whom have unique styles and are followed by many young dancers today.
Jairo Barrull, an internationally successful gypsy flamenco dancer from Seville, Spain, has been performing since he was seven years old. His family is the well-known 'Los Negros de Ronda', with an artistic legacy stemming back to the 19th century.
Jairo has performed in prestigious theatres all over the world including the Dansens Hus, Stockholm, the Theatre Avenida, Argentina, the Alte Oper of Frankfurt, and the Orchestre National de Lyon Auditorium. At the tender age of 13 he even performed at the Vatican for Pope John Paul II. In 2003 Jairo performed at the Berliner Philharmonie, where the German press repeatedly declared him 'The Hope of Dance'.
You may also want to watch:
Manuela Vargas has danced in prestigious flamenco festivals across the globe such as La Bienal de Sevilla, the Flamenco Festival de Jerez and the Festival Flamenco de Mont de Marsan, France. Manuela has performed with many great flamenco icons including her aunt Angelita Vargas, La Farruca and La Faraona amongst others. Recent show appearances include Los Farrucos' show 'Las Gitanas'.
Jairo and Manuela will be joined by musicians from Andalucía including flamenco singer David El Galli and flamenco guitarist Eugenio Iglesias.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 3 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 4 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 5 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 6 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 7 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 8 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 9 Cycling trail among ideas for new country park
- 10 Norfolk scenes cut from Netflix's Sutton Hoo film The Dig
The show starts at 7.30pm and tickets, priced at £17, can be purchased at the Maddermarket Box Office on 01603 620917 or email email@example.com