Fireworks expected in Cromer as town celebrates New Year - a week later than rest of the world
- Credit: PAUL DUNSTAN
More than 10,000 people expected to line the seafront to watch the free show.
Fireworks are expected in north Norfolk this weekend.
Cromer is set to celebrate 2017 a week later than everyone else by staging its rescheduled New Year's Day display on the pier this Sunday, January 8, at 5pm.
It was postponed last weekend because of the adverse weather forecast amid fears a firework could end up in the crowd.
And with more than 10,000 people expected to line the seafront to watch the free show, motorists are advised to arrive early to secure a parking space.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for the fireworks organising committee said: 'The weather forecast is still for winds but off the land rather than off the sea so unlikely to be cancelled.'
But they added: 'Titanium will bring along enough smaller materials just in case.'
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 4 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 5 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 6 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 7 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 8 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
- 9 Father and son admit handling stolen power tools
- 10 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
The decision to cancel the event last week was taken by the fireworks committee and on the recommendation of the display organisers, Titanium, who successfully staged the displays in London and Edinburgh on New Year's Eve.
It was noted at an emergency meeting on Saturday that in 18 years of trading they have only had to cancel three events - two of which have been in Cromer.
The spokesperson added: 'The wind direction meant that hot embers and debris could land on spectators and property.
'Concern was raised that as we were aware of the risk to spectators, the insurers may not provide cover should an incident arise.'
Organisers have promised the fireworks display - the biggest of its kind in Britain - will be worth the wait.
Cromer mayor Tim Adams said: 'We had considered other options including a complete cancellation or a reduced display. However, we realise the huge boost this free event has to businesses in Cromer and the event raises a large amount of money for charities and grant funding every year.'
And he added: 'We want to do a good job here and blow your socks off with the fantastic display you have come to expect!'
Mulled wine will be served outside Cromer Museum from 2pm.
Organisers are also inviting amateur photographers to send them their best picture of the display for the chance to win a 43-inch HD television and have their image turned into the official poster for the 2018 event.
Pictures can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, January 16. The rules are available, along with more details, online at: www.cromer-tc.gov.uk