Famous circus set to return to region
A famous UK travelling circus has announced plans to return to East Anglia this summer. Billy's Smart's Circus, which was last seen in the region at the Royal Norfolk Showground two years ago, is set to make its first visit to Thetford, Bury St Edmunds, and King's Lynn this June.
A famous travelling circus has announced plans to return to East Anglia this summer.
Billy Smart's Circus, which was last seen in the region at the Norfolk showground two years ago, is set to make its first visits to Thetford, Bury St Edmunds and near King's Lynn next month.
The historic circus, which was formed more than 60 years ago, used to attract millions of viewers to its Christmas and Easter extravaganzas on BBC television.
During its heyday, its traditional Big Top was regularly packed with thousands of people wanting to see an army of international artists and a 200-strong host of elephants, lions, horses, polar bears, camels, sea lions and chimpanzees. After an absence of more than 30 years, the circus resumed touring the country without its animals in 2001.
You may also want to watch:
A dynamic mix of acrobatics, aerial expertise, comedy, juggling and illusion will return to the region with performances at Thetford's Melford Common from June 18 to June 20, Hardwick Heath, in Bury St Edmunds, from June 21 to June 24, and the A10 Circus Field at West Winch, near King's Lynn, from June 26 to July 1.
Angie Hook, circus spokesman, said the Billy Smart line-up for 2007 was "completely different" to previous years, with performances from Mexican clown Chico Rico, illusions from Ross Presto & Company, Estonian acrobat Anastasia, Russian balancing act Duo Berestov and new flying-trapeze act the Flying Bull Dancers.
- 1 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 Former car showroom could make way for 146 student flats
- 4 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 5 Why teacher was right to report Confederate flag to police
- 6 Former pubs, schools and leisure centres among arson-hit sites
- 7 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 8 'This is nature' - Sadness as cathedral peregrine chick dies
- 9 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 10 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
"It is the first time we have visited these three towns and it promises to be a dazzling combination of theatre, dance and music in our 1,000-seat Big Top," she said.
Tickets start from £10 for adults and £8 for children.
For more information or to book, call 0870 444 1505 or visit www.billy-smarts-circus.co.uk