Eastern Open exhibition
ALISON CROOSE King's Lynn Arts Centre
King's Lynn Arts Centre
An eclectic mix of works spanning the visual arts spectrum makes for an absorbing exhibition by artists from seven counties in eastern England.
The annual prestige event continues to showcase some of the best art being produced in the region with much competition for the hanging space for 80-plus pictures creamed from nearly 700 submitted.
You may also want to watch:
Three experts had the daunting task of selecting what they considered the outstanding pieces which now occupy the arts centre's extensive refurbished galleries.
This is the 37th year that tradition and innovation have complemented one another to create a fascinating exhibition including eight prize-winning works.
- 1 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 2 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 3 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 4 Former car showroom could make way for 146 student flats
- 5 'This is nature' - Sadness as cathedral peregrine chick dies
- 6 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 7 Former pubs, schools and leisure centres among arson-hit sites
- 8 May 17 easing: What UEA virus expert will and won't be doing
- 9 Couple launch new park café after market success
- 10 'Vulnerable' Norfolk man missing from home
The textures and colours of grass cuttings captured in close-up in oils won the best-in-show award for Gareth Brown from South Norfolk, while James Dodds' linocut depicting a clever composite panorama of Yarmouth took the printing and etching prize. A very attractive view of Whitlingham Marsh in woodcut by Ivy Smith won the landscape award.
From Michael Stewart Atwell's watercolour of hare coursing in the fens to Richard Dack's three-dimensional mixed media piece, The Southwold Voyage, and Susan Gunn's mixed media Epitaph, the variety of styles has much to interest the viewer.
t The Eastern Open continues until Thursday April 27. Further details at www.kingslynnarts.co.uk