Dr Who and friends ready for invasion
RICHARD BATSON An army of evil monsters is heading to Norfolk with a mission to exterminate a world record.
An army of evil monsters is heading to Norfolk with a mission to exterminate a world record.
A summer invasion of Dr Who and other sci-fi characters is set to happen at Holt on June 24-25.
And organisers are hoping to set the world record for the largest number of Daleks in one place.
The current record stands at 57, and the Norfolk event hoped to smash that by attracting up to 100, said co-ordinator Nigel Pearce.
The gathering, after a 1pm parade through town on the Sunday, will be checked by Guinness Book of Records officials and independent witnesses - town council chairman Philip High and council member Jean Corbett-Jarvis.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 3 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 4 'Our homes will be destroyed' - Neighbours' fears over proposed pylon route
- 5 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 6 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 7 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
- 8 Sweet Briar Road to reopen TODAY
- 9 Scammers targeting Norfolk homes with fake parcel deliveries
- 10 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
“They must be full size Daleks , between 5ft and 6ft tall, and stay in one place for 10 minutes,” explained Mr Pearce.
The doctor's famous trundling enemies, with their sink plunger arms and eyes on sticks, are coming from as far afield as Scotland, Manchester, Cornwall and Wales - and there could even be a handful flying in from Belgium.
They will be joined by a Tardis, Cybermen and actors from the TV series - including the sixth doctor Colin Baker, and Deborah Watling, who was Victoria - assistant to the pioneering doctors of William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton in 1966 and 1967.
As well as a Sunday of fun on the streets at Holt, there is a Saturday night “meet the stars” event, with £15 tickets still available from Mr Pearce's Planet Skaro shop off the Market Place on 01263 711102.