Review: The Producers, Dereham Theatre Company
- Credit: Archant
To celebrate its 70th birthday, you'd think an am dram may plump for a nice, cosy autumn musical.
An entourage of singing Hitlers and a rousing chorus of 'Keep it gay' would not immediately to mind.
Dereham Theatre Company loves to put on shows which are fun for audiences and those taking part.
The cast hit the spot - getting a fully deserved standing ovation - with its opening night performance of Mel Brooks' Broadway hit.
Saucy, edgy and hilarious the show certainly is.
You may also want to watch:
The brilliant Lee Chapman and Michael Stoker (Max Bialystock and Leo Bloom) led a talented cast which oozed energy and passion.
The plot surrounds the producers' failed plot to oversell interest in a Broadway flop.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 4 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 5 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 6 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 7 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 8 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 9 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 10 Cycling trail among ideas for new country park
For seven decades the company has put on a vast array of shows.
It deserves support from the local community and it's disappointing to hear advance ticket sales aren't much better. Come on Dereham - get yourselves along.
*The Producers continues at Dereham Memorial Hall until Saturday. See www.dosoc.co.uk for more details.