Danny Seward to star as Norwich Robin Hood
Rowan MantellThe star of this year' s Norwich Theatre Royal pantomime has been revealed as Danny Seward, a primetime TV heart-throb who has sung with Elaine Paige and John Barrowman.Rowan Mantell
The star of this year' s Norwich Theatre Royal pantomime has been revealed as Danny Seward, a primetime TV heart-throb who has sung with Elaine Paige and John Barrowman.
Danny, 33, from Manchester, has never done panto, never shot an arrow and never watched Robin Hood, but reckons he's hit the bullseye with his first pantomime role.
Fresh from roles in BBC's sci-fi hit Survivors, and in The Tudors, and possibly best-known as Joe Beresford in ITV drama Where The Heart Is, he said: 'I've always wanted to do panto.'
'I've seen friends in panto and thought I'd love to do that,' said Danny. 'When you start it's all about Shakespeare and being a thespian, but I always thought: 'Why can't you have a good time?'
You may also want to watch:
'I've only seen Norwich in the dark,' he said, 'So I'm really looking forward to getting to know it.'
Robin Hood will combine his acting talents with his love of music. His career has already taken him from Emmerdale to the double Bafta award winning drama The Cops and on to an album with EMI.
- 1 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 2 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 3 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 4 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 5 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 6 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 7 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
- 8 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 9 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 10 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
'Singing is my huge hobby,' said Danny. 'I have got my own studio - and obviously sing in the shower too - shampoo bottle for the microphone and all that! I just love big, showy ballads.'
And now, as well as practising squeezing into his green tights and tunic, he will be mugging up on the legend of Robin Hood
'I've not seen the BBC series or the Kevin Costner film, but I have just ordered the old Errol Flynn movie and I think that's going to be my research,' said Danny.
Two of his co-stars have also been announced. David Redgrave, who grew up in Lowestoft, will be playing Friar Tuck, and Joe Allen will be playing Little John.
David is a veteran of 23 pantomimes, and has been an actor all his working life - but has never played at Norwich Theatre Royal - and it will be a dream come true for him.
'I used to be a choir boy in Lowestoft and every year our Christmas treat was to come to the pantomime at the Norwich Theatre Royal,' he said. 'I always wanted to be up on that stage.'
t Robin Hood runs from December 15 to January 17. Tickets are �5 to �18.50. for more information or to book call 01603 630000 or visit www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk