Danceable folk with a twist
Colin Wilson John Spiers and Jon Boden, two of the best instrumentalists of the nu-folk generation, make a welcome return to Norwich Arts Centre on Wednesday (8pm).
John Spiers and Jon Boden, two of the best instrumentalists of the nu-folk generation, make a welcome return to Norwich Arts Centre on Wednesday (8pm).
Spiers and Boden have been consistently wowing audiences up and down the country for the last five years with their blend of traditional English folk song with a contemporary twist and hi-octane dance tunes which get everyone dancing.
Winners of the Best Duo category at the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards in both 2004 and 2006, and founders of “folk big band”, Bellowhead, Spiers and Boden now find themselves at the forefront of the new folk revival. John Boden (singer, fiddle, guitar, stomp-box) follows in the footsteps of many of the great folk-singers with his theatrical style while John Spiers (melodeon, concertina) has taken the traditional squeezebox styles and blended them with his knowledge of contemporary dance music to create and infectious acoustic groove.
You may also want to watch:
t 01603 660352 (£12, concs £10 - all seated), Norwich Arts Centre box office, www.ueaticketbookings.co.uk
- 1 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
- 2 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 3 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 4 Man, 20, who drowned at Bawsey Pits is named
- 5 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 6 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'
- 7 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 8 Norfolk social worker loses race discrimination case
- 9 Tax in post: Only Fools and Horses van racks up fines
- 10 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich