‘Why do we want this here?’ - Mixed reaction to controversial Damien Hirst sculpture in Norwich
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2018
A 20ft Damien Hirst sculpture appeared in the centre of Norwich on Monday, where it will remain until July. But did all our readers welcome the new addition to the city centre?
Here are some of the comments left on social media regarding the 'Hymn' sculpture by the controversial artist.
Lucinda Beckett: 'Not very original is it? Where is the artistic element? Sorry but I really hate Damien's work. Possibly more that I hate Tracy Emin's art and that is saying a lot.'
Wayne Dean: 'It belongs in a hospital not on the street.'
Diana Elliott: 'It is pleasing on the eye? Is it decorative? Does it add anything to our already beautiful city? None of the above. Whoever thought it was a good idea to install this monstrosity?'
You may also want to watch:
Brigitte Morton: 'Lacks originality I am afraid. Emperor's new clothes? I actually like Hirst's early work, I see the relevance of Tracey Emin, but this? An oversize medical model?'
Tor Jones: 'Love Damien's work and very proud that our wonderful city gets to host his work for a few months. Looking forward to seeing his exhibition at Houghton Hall.'
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 6 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 8 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 9 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 10 City keeper diagnosed with testicular cancer
Marcus George Jervis: ''Eyesore', 'joke' 'hideous' and 'waste' - all words used on this thread to describe this work. And the point is that art is meant to be provocative and thought-provoking. On that basis then, it's already an unqualified success isn't it? Really looking forward to seeing it up close.'
Louise Alderman: 'Looks like a model for teaching basic anatomy.'
Robby Copsey: 'Absolutely ridiculous. Why do we want this here?'
Frank Baldry: 'Not to my taste, but any city that encourages public art is doing a good thing.'
Stephen Tilney: 'Norwich should be proud to host it.'
Edward King: 'Awesome, love it. Should be more exhibitions like this. Good job Norwich.'
April Hardy: 'I'm not a fan of any Damien Hirst work it all seems a bit pointless to me, but that's modern art for you I suppose.'
Ellen Issac: 'There are enough models of these at the hospital, what makes this giant one special?'
Mary Key: 'Money could have been better spent on the local community.'
Cathy Mijatovic: 'I think it's pretty amazing and I hope I get a chance to see it.'
Kevin Clarke: 'Not for me I'm afraid, to me it's an eyesore.'
Pasco-Q Kevlin: 'Looking forward to seeing it up close.'
Andrea Slater: 'Incredible. I'll definitely go to see it.'
Shazza Hedger: 'Hideous, could frighten children.'
Wendy Norman: 'It's art and it should polarise opinion. Guess it's done the job judging by the comments.'
What do you think of the Damien Hirst sculpture in Norwich? Let us know in the comments below.