Supporting the East Anglian Book Awards for the second year running is a good example of how CUE East connects with the Norfolk community.
Community University Engagement East does what its name suggests: it connects the University of East Anglia with the wider Norfolk community. Supporting the East Anglian Book Awards for the second year running is a good example of how it does this. CUE East's support comes in the form of both financial sponsorship and through securing some of UEA's top literary names as judges for the awards.
At the organisation's helm is Prof Keith Roberts, chairman of CUE East's steering group and a world-renowned plant biologist. He is also an illustrator of science textbooks, meaning that he has long operated at a place where science and the arts overlap.
Prof Roberts said: 'We are delighted to once again join the sponsors of the East Anglian Book Awards and to facilitate UEA's involvement in such a significant cultural celebration.'
CUE East works with 21 official partner organisations in Norfolk to help connect the UEA with the community.
Among its partners are organisations such as Writers' Centre Norwich, May Gurney, Norwich City Council, City College Norwich and the Eastern Daily Press.
CUE East is one of six higher education national Beacons for Public Engagement, all of which are four-year pilot schemes running from 2008 to 2012. A key feature of CUE East is its presence at the Forum in Norwich's city centre, a place where university staff and students can use the digital facilities in ways that help them better connect with the community.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 3 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 4 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 5 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 6 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 7 'Ghetto' fears raised over scheme for 725 new homes
- 8 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 9 Pub landlord threatened to kill man he chased through streets with axe
- 10 Which Norfolk hospital has the longest ambulance handovers?
The organisation also seeks to bring about a change of culture within the university, encouraging staff to engage more with wider Norfolk life and rewarding those who do.
See www.uea.ac.uk/ssf/cue-east for more details.