Competition winner to be ringmaster in brand new circus show
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A very special ringmaster is set to welcome audiences to a brand new circus show in Norwich this month.
Seven-year-old Soraya Seymour has been given the all important task of encouraging people to roll up, roll up for the circus after she and her brother Asad, five, and sister Zahra, two, were named the winners of a colouring competition run by My First Circus: The Circus Child.
Today the Norwich family enjoyed a trip to The Garage where Soraya recorded her opening speech which will be played before every performance of the show which will take to the city venue's stage from July 26 to July 29.
Director Daniel Burgess said: 'Soraya did a brilliant job as the ringmaster and a really good job of representing her brother and sister too.
'All three of them sent in brilliant entries to our competition to colour in a unicycling juggler, and it will be great to welcome them back here to see the show.'
You may also want to watch:
Their mum Shelina Seymour said: 'It was a nice surprise for them to win and a lovely experience for them. We're really looking forward to the show. It is brilliant for the age group and it really will be their very first circus.'
In this 250th anniversary year for circus, My First Circus: The Circus Child is an interactive show especially for young children and their families.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 3 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 4 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 5 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 6 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 7 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
- 8 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 9 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 10 City Council withdraws support for £153m Western Link
It is a co-production being created by The Garage, All-In Productions and Lost in Translation Circus, and it will see the young audience members put at the heart of the action and having a go at juggling and other tricks.
Members of the cast will will be giving a sneak preview this Saturday when they join the Norwich Evening News and Eastern Daily Press' float in the Lord Mayor's Procession.
Mr Burgess said: 'It's great that All-In Productions and The Garage have been able to join in with the Circus250 celebrations across the city.
'My First Circus is going to be truly amazing with incredible circus acts and we hope everyone will come and see the show.'
Reuben King, five, from Norwich, and Vienna Long, five, from Newton Flotman, were runners up in the My First Circus: The Circus Child colouring competition.
• My First Circus: The Circus Child is at The Garage, in Norwich, from July 26 to 29. To book, call 01603 598646 or visit www.thegarage.org.uk