Colourful Copacabana show on Cromer Pier
- Credit: Archant
A well-loved musical is set to bring colour laughter and a lot of dance to the coastal town of Cromer.
Cromer and Sheringham Operatic and Dramatic Society are bringing their version of Copacabana, complete with feathers and sequins galore, to the Pavilion Theatre Cromer Pier stage following the success of 2014's centenary production of Oliver.
Written by Barry Manilow and based on his Grammy-award winning song, Copacabana is the story of Lola from Tulsa, who arrives in New York with showbiz aspirations. Tony is a bartender and composer who falls in love with Lola and helps her become a Copa girl in the famous Copacabana nightclub. Lola attracts the amorous attentions of rival night club owner, Rico who abducts Lola and takes her to his club in Havana. With the help of his friends, Tony sets out to help rescue Lola.
The musical, written by Manilow and his longtime collaborators Bruce Sussman and Jack Feldman, is packed with original songs, dazzling costumes and dynamic choreography. The show features classic Manilow hits including Dancin' Fool, Who Needs to Dream? Sweet Heaven and of course, Copacabana.
After starting life as a made for television movie, the show became a hit in London's West End where it played for over a year and enjoyed numerous UK tours.
You may also want to watch:
The show originally opened in London at the Prince of Wales Theatre in 1994, with well-known stage actor Gary Wilmot as Tony and Nicola Dawn as Lola. It appealed to fans of Manilow, becoming one of the very first jukebox musicals.
It has also enjoyed life on the US amateur theatre scene.
- 1 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 2 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 3 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 4 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 5 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 6 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 7 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
- 8 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 9 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 10 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
Copacabana will run at Pavilion Theatre Cromer Pier from Saturday, May 23 to Saturday, May 30 with nightly performances at 7.30pm (except Sunday and Monday) and 2.30pm matinees on Sunday 24, Monday 25 and Saturday 30.
Tickets range from £9.50 to £14 and are available from the Pavilion Theatre Cromer Pier Box Office on 01263 512495.