City of London Sinfonia
ALISON CROOSE King's Lynn Corn Exchange
For a first-class Christmas concert, what better person to have in your midst than that master of carol composition and arrangement, John Rutter?
That was the treat enjoyed by a full house as part of the CLS residency when John Rutter conducted seasonal music performed by the orchestra with The Choirs of Norwich Cathedral and soprano Sarah Tynan.
Some of the most enchanting moments were when choirs and orchestra performed carols composed by John Rutter – Star Carol, Mary's Lullaby and I Saw Three Ships – and his modern arrangements refresh traditional carols so they can be enjoyed anew.
The programme included Howard Blake's Nursery Rhyme Overture, Vaughan Williams' Fantasia on Greensleeves and Mel Torme's Christmas Song.
David Dunnett directed the choirs in carols by Benjamin Britten and John Tavener, and Sarah Tynan impressed in Mozart's Alleluia and the Christmas sequence from Handel's Messiah.
- 1 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 2 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 3 Norwich firm part of growing number of businesses working four day weeks
- 4 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 5 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 6 Teenager died of injuries six days after crash
- 7 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 8 John Lewis CCTV footage leads to Norwich gun arrests
- 9 A year on: Tributes to teacher who died following tumour diagnosis
- 10 1920s bungalow up for sale in one of the Broads' most sought-after villages