Citroen 2CV star of Channel 4’s Shameless to appear at North Walsham Fun Day
Celebrity cars are usually sleek, streamlined, sophisticated and purr into life. But one of the classic motor stars of a north Norfolk family day out this weekend fails to tick any of those clich�d boxes.
Carl Baker's multi-coloured Citroen 2CV looks a bit of a cross between a frog and a toaster, and sounds quite a lot like an electric sewing machine.
But while it may not have starred in any stylish 007 movies, Mr Baker's motor has an honourable screen background.
It featured, sporting a green-and-white strip, in the 2004 movie Dead Man's Shoes and, more recently, in Channel 4's popular black comedy Shameless, where its doors all fell outwards, circus-style, while it was being used as a children's entertainer's car by Karen Maguire (Rebecca Atkinson), who runs The Jockey pub with her husband Jamie.
But to 2CV collector Mr Baker, 31, of Bradfield Close, North Walsham, the car is as classy as a Lotus or a Lamborghini. He bought it for �1,000 when it came up for sale and has added it to his growing fleet.
It will be among attractions at North Walsham's Fun Day, this Sunday, June 24, from noon to 5pm on the town's memorial park.
The day will also include displays of breakdancing by Millfield Primary School pupils, maypole dancing by Manor Road junior schoolchildren, adult zumba displays, dog agility and a fun dog show, singer Marc James, the East Coast Truckers, vintage tractors and stationary engines, auto jumble, a bouncy slide and rides, food and drink, charity, crafts and business stalls.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 3 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 4 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 5 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 6 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 7 'Ghetto' fears raised over scheme for 725 new homes
- 8 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 9 Pub landlord threatened to kill man he chased through streets with axe
- 10 Which Norfolk hospital has the longest ambulance handovers?
Proceeds will be split between the event organisers, North Walsham's Christmas lights committee, and the town's Lion's Club. Entry is free with donations invited.