EMMA LEE Chapelfield Gardens, Norwich(Norfolk and NorwichFestival)
Chapelfield Gardens, Norwich(Norfolk and NorwichFestival)
Circus Ronaldo have put up their big-top tent in Chapelfield Gardens for an extended five-night run at this year's festival, having wowed audiences with their acrobatic skills - if not their culinary prowess - last spring.
Set in a pizza parlour, La Cucina dell'Arte stars brothers Danny and David Ronaldo, who are sixth-generation circus performers from Belgium.
Proving that you don't need the fancy multi-media trickery of the likes of Cirque Du Soleil to bring circus into the 21st Century, they pack edge-of-your-seat acrobatics, comedy, juggling and even a bit of romance into this delightful, inventive and hilarious 70-minute show.
Part of its beauty is that the clowning looks off-the-cuff and effortless, when, in fact, you
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 3 Passengers angry after train heading to Norwich delayed for hours
- 4 Covid restrictions played part in father's death, inquest told
- 5 Weather warning in place as snow falls in parts of Norfolk and Waveney
- 6 School closed its doors for three days after Covid outbreak
- 7 'Horrendous' - Norfolk couple stuck in South Africa as Omicron spreads
- 8 Out of control dog attacked and killed sheep, court hears
- 9 Luxury manor for sale with a 'Hobbit house' in the grounds
- 10 Unfinished barn conversion to go up for sale at auction
know it has been choreographed with precision.
At its heart is the power struggle between the restaurant boss, played by David Ronaldo, who is the straight-man of the piece, and his minion Danny, who, despite his apparent haplessness, manages to outwit him.
Every simple action has comic potential, which is exploited to its limits - the show opens with Danny Ronaldo, who performs the stunts, swinging from a chandelier in the rafters as he tries to light some candles and there's some fantastic pizza-making. And the show ends with…no, I'm not going to spoil the surprise.
While it may be mayhem in their pizza parlour, the Ronaldo brothers have definitely cooked up a treat.
Performances are nightly at 8.30pm until Monday, May 14. Tickets cost £14 - under 26s, £5. The show is suitable for ages 12 and over.