Cast members needed for new play that will form part of Norwich Pride festivities
- Credit: Ruski
The search is on for cast members to join a new show that will form a part of Norwich Pride's 10th anniversary celebrations this summer.
The OUT140 Play is based on hundreds of people's coming out stories all told in the length of a tweet and it will be performed at Norwich Theatre Royal's Stage Two venue on July 24 as part of a programme of activities called Creative Pride.
'Me, I'm not straight - more like a wavy line' and 'I told my parents I was bisexual when I was 16 - they said go to your room,' are among the personal stories that will be told.
Now the team behind the play is looking for people to bring the stories to life on the stage and auditions for the show are being held at Stage Two on Tuesday.
OUT140 creator and producer Michelle Savage, also known as Shelly Telly, said: 'We've been collecting people's coming out stories on Twitter since the first Norwich Pride in 2009. In previous years we presented them as an exhibition, a tiny book and a set of micro-songs from the Sing with Pride choir.
You may also want to watch:
'We wanted to do something special for the 10th Norwich Pride so we are creating a play - with a cast of local people playing 140 characters or less. We are looking for a diverse range of actors who can play lots of roles. We'll be having a series of workshops with professional acting coaches so we can work with people with all kinds of experience.'
Jen Alexander, who will direct the play, said: 'I know that for young LGBT people coming out the world can seem a lonely and confusing place. 'OUT140 beautifully captures the range of people's experiences and if the play has one message it's this - you are not alone.'
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 2 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 5 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 6 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 7 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 8 Woman in 60s suffers serious injuries after car crashes into ditch
- 9 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 10 Several burst mains in town leave homes without water
Some scratch performances of extracts of the play were performed last year during the Norfolk & Norwich Festival and Norwich Theatre Royal's Gender and Identity season.
The OUT140 Play is made with the support of Norwich Theatre Royal, Norfolk County Council and Norwich Pride.
To book a place at the audition evening at Stage Two on Tuesday, June 5 from 7pm to 9pm, email email@example.com or visit www.out140.org.uk
For more about the full Creative Pride programme at Norwich Theatre Royal, visit www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk
For more on Norwich Pride, which will take place on July 28, visit www.norwichpride.org.uk