Cast members needed for new play that will form part of Norwich Pride festivities
- Credit: Ruski
The search is on for cast members to join a new show that will form a part of Norwich Pride's 10th anniversary celebrations this summer.
The OUT140 Play is based on hundreds of people's coming out stories all told in the length of a tweet and it will be performed at Norwich Theatre Royal's Stage Two venue on July 24 as part of a programme of activities called Creative Pride.
'Me, I'm not straight - more like a wavy line' and 'I told my parents I was bisexual when I was 16 - they said go to your room,' are among the personal stories that will be told.
Now the team behind the play is looking for people to bring the stories to life on the stage and auditions for the show are being held at Stage Two on Tuesday.
OUT140 creator and producer Michelle Savage, also known as Shelly Telly, said: 'We've been collecting people's coming out stories on Twitter since the first Norwich Pride in 2009. In previous years we presented them as an exhibition, a tiny book and a set of micro-songs from the Sing with Pride choir.
'We wanted to do something special for the 10th Norwich Pride so we are creating a play - with a cast of local people playing 140 characters or less. We are looking for a diverse range of actors who can play lots of roles. We'll be having a series of workshops with professional acting coaches so we can work with people with all kinds of experience.'
Jen Alexander, who will direct the play, said: 'I know that for young LGBT people coming out the world can seem a lonely and confusing place. 'OUT140 beautifully captures the range of people's experiences and if the play has one message it's this - you are not alone.'
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 3 Teenager admits stabbing three people in Norwich city centre
- 4 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 5 More than 80 Norfolk parishes protest against wind farm plans
- 6 Confusion as people in Norfolk mistakenly turn up for booster jab
- 7 Norfolk hotel set to launch five romantic orchard cabins next year
- 8 MP 'not concerned' about single Omicron case in north Norfolk
- 9 Man stopped 504 people from getting jabs after gluing vaccine centre locks
- 10 Norfolk Labour website tells people not to vote for party
Some scratch performances of extracts of the play were performed last year during the Norfolk & Norwich Festival and Norwich Theatre Royal's Gender and Identity season.
The OUT140 Play is made with the support of Norwich Theatre Royal, Norfolk County Council and Norwich Pride.
To book a place at the audition evening at Stage Two on Tuesday, June 5 from 7pm to 9pm, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.out140.org.uk
For more about the full Creative Pride programme at Norwich Theatre Royal, visit www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk
For more on Norwich Pride, which will take place on July 28, visit www.norwichpride.org.uk