Our school books drive could change a child’s life
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
There is something magical about reading.
Whether young or old, getting lost in a good book, being transported to a different world and growing fond of its characters is a wonderful feeling.
It's often in our younger years that a love of the written word is instilled. Perhaps it was a family member reading aloud before bedtime, or maybe the books you were introduced to at school.
It is these memories that encouraged us to launch our Books for Schools campaign, which we hope will enable children to access stories that will inspire them in both the present and the future.
It is a token-based scheme, which will see schools in with a chance of winning a share of £20,000 worth of books.
Schools are, as any parent will know, facing a turbulent climate.
Their funds are stretched, and resources must be prioritised.
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
- 6 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 7 Neighbours shock at ‘unexplained’ sudden death of woman
- 8 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 9 Norfolk holiday home named one of the best in the UK
- 10 'Our homes will be destroyed' - Neighbours' fears over proposed pylon route
Understandably, that often means front-line staffing - keeping our vital teachers in jobs, buying materials for lessons, holding onto support staff and providing the essentials that pupils' need.
We've spoken to schools about stocking their libraries in the past - and while some are able to keep theirs up to date, others struggle to find the funds, relying instead on donations and volunteers.
And while these contributions should be applauded, it can mean that schools go without an up to date supply of new books.
These funds could really make a difference to a school.
And from the first pupil who reads it, to another a few years down the line, the books you, through the tokens, are able to donate could change a young person's life.
It could ignite a life-long love of reading. What a wonderful gift.