Tribute paid to the late Diana Beckley at Nineteenth Paul Cross Memorial Concert
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
Tribute was paid to the late Diana Beckley, a dedicated stalwart of the twinning link with Novi Sad at the Nineteenth Paul Cross Memorial Concert on Saturday evening at the Assembly House,Norwich.
The programme gave a welcome opportunity to listen to music by Serbian composers. The soloist was Milica Stojadinovic, prima donna of Novi Sad's National Theatre.
She expertly conveyed a wide range of meanings in her well-chosen groups of songs with varied tone, facial expression and a few restrained gestures.
In arias by Puccini, on whom she wrote her PhD thesis, Gershwin and Lloyd Webber, she was stylish and powerful, and to Rusalka's beautiful To the Moon by Dvorak she brought a touch of romance.
The soprano was accompanied with sympathy and aplomb by her teenage son Bosko. His technique and vigour were also admired in demanding pieces by Liszt and Rachmaninoff.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 4 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 5 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 6 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 7 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Carer caught on CCTV letting dog scratch vulnerable pensioner
- 10 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street