Tribute paid to the late Diana Beckley at Nineteenth Paul Cross Memorial Concert
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
Tribute was paid to the late Diana Beckley, a dedicated stalwart of the twinning link with Novi Sad at the Nineteenth Paul Cross Memorial Concert on Saturday evening at the Assembly House,Norwich.
The programme gave a welcome opportunity to listen to music by Serbian composers. The soloist was Milica Stojadinovic, prima donna of Novi Sad's National Theatre.
She expertly conveyed a wide range of meanings in her well-chosen groups of songs with varied tone, facial expression and a few restrained gestures.
In arias by Puccini, on whom she wrote her PhD thesis, Gershwin and Lloyd Webber, she was stylish and powerful, and to Rusalka's beautiful To the Moon by Dvorak she brought a touch of romance.
The soprano was accompanied with sympathy and aplomb by her teenage son Bosko. His technique and vigour were also admired in demanding pieces by Liszt and Rachmaninoff.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 3 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 4 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 5 Road closed after crash involving car and two tractors
- 6 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 7 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 8 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 9 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 10 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?